Conversion

Delafuentedelfuego

Delafuentedelfuego

I agree with you again, however I am wondering about the definition of "same quality" and the fact that the program can adapt the bitrate according to the source (14 h264 ---> 7 h265). This is where I don't understand the reasoning. After all, I presume that everyone uses Handbrake or Tdarr, but it would be great to be able to do it directly in the Emby server!

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, Delafuentedelfuego said:

I agree with you again, however I am wondering about the definition of "same quality" and the fact that the program can adapt the bitrate according to the source (14 h264 ---> 7 h265). This is where I don't understand the reasoning. After all, I presume that everyone uses Handbrake or Tdarr, but it would be great to be able to do it directly in the Emby server!

The issue is, those numbers themselves are fairly meaninless - is that peak bitrate, constant bitrate, average bitrate, constant quality, variable bitrate, target bitrate, max bitrate blah blah.

I'm not sure what emby is using in ffmpeg - so unless you have an actual ffmpeg command line to decipher - it's impossible to say what is is doing ...

For one off's - then emby is fine - but imo, if you want to use it for more than that - then there are more suitable solutions out there dedicated to this sort of thing that will likely get you the results you desire.  ie if you are expecting an average bitrate of 7Mbit/sec, then that's what you should approximately get - not 3Mbit/sec.

Edited by rbjtech

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 4:41 AM, Delafuentedelfuego said:

Here is what I find on the internet. The H265 format allows you to reduce the file size by about 50%. That's why I was surprised by the result (see logs) of starting with 12mbs in H264 and ending up with 3mbs in HEVC...
image.png.f017823d048cf08ab78d6ed66467d80d.png

Hi, as a test, if you turn off hardware transcoding in server transcoding settings, how does that compare?