Login attempt on remote server kicks me back to the server list

zzelinski
Go to solution Solved by zzelinski,

zzelinski

I am having issues logging into an externally-hosted Emby server using the Roku Emby app -- when I select the server from the server screen, I am redirected (appropriately) to that server's login list. I select my username, type in my password, and upon hitting "OK" on the password screen, I experience the following events:

• I get a blank screen with a spinning circle for maybe half a second.
  • I am then taken back to the Select Server screen.

Device info:

• This is happening on at least 2 Roku TVs with Emby app version 4.1 build 8 and a Roku streaming stick 4K+ with the same version and build.
  • I use two Emby servers, one locally on my own LAN (this is working fine on every device) and one hosted externally (this is the one I am having issues with).
  • The server in question has a long history of successful connections from all tested devices (i.e., this is not a new connection; I know it worked on these devices previously).
  • I don't have direct access to the remotely hosted server, but I can request things be tested/changed on that side if needed.

Here's what I've tested so far:

• This issue seems to happen regardless of whether or not I am signed into Emby Connect on the Roku app.
    • As a separate note, when I am logged into Emby Connect on the Roku app, and I'm sitting on the Select Server screen, the Logout button doesn't visually do anything -- the first time I click on it, the visual selector jumps up to the top server in the list. The "Logout" button does not change. Further clicks on that button do nothing (the selector stays on the Logout button). I have to exit the app and re-enter in order to see the "Sign in with Emby Connect" button where the Logout button was.
  • This issue does not happen on other, non-Roku devices.
    • These other devices work correctly on my home network and (in the case of the phone app/phone browser) also work correctly on mobile data.
    • I'm unable to easily test the devices in question outside my home network.
  • The server admin created a test account with a simple password to make sure it wasn't a strange character issue -- the same issue occurred even with this test account.
  • I have deleted and re-added the server in question multiple times. It is clearly connecting at some level, since once it's added I am able to see the list of users. I just can't get past that screen.
  • I have uninstalled the Roku Emby app, restarted the device, and reinstalled and the issue persists.
  • I have cleared the Roku's cache and the issue persists.

Any ideas? I think I also accidentally sent a log at some point earlier today, but I'm also happy to send another log if that would help! Thanks!

Edited by zzelinski
Forgot a detail.

12 minutes ago, zzelinski said:

I think I also accidentally sent a log at some point earlier today,

Hi.  How did you do that if you are unable to log in?

zzelinski
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  How did you do that if you are unable to log in?

Whoops, I mean I sent it from my local server.

zzelinski

According to the server admin, I am successfully authenticating even on the devices that are experiencing this issue:

image.png.626d896ce2641b3b7b1cd04632aa5f17.png

Hi.  If you have your server admin go to their "Devices" list on the server and delete the one you are trying to connect from (Porch TV), does it work after that?

zzelinski
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If you have your server admin go to their "Devices" list on the server and delete the one you are trying to connect from (Porch TV), does it work after that?

Had the server admin delete the device and I went back in and deleted the server and re-added it and logged in...same issue, kicked back to the Select Server list 😞

zzelinski

More info: I can't remember an exact date, but I know this server was working in the Emby app on this device a few days after January 28 (the upload date of the last thing I watched).

Are you connecting with HTTPS?  Are you sure the certificate is accepted by the Roku?

zzelinski
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Are you connecting with HTTPS?  Are you sure the certificate is accepted by the Roku?

Yes connecting with HTTPS. Is there a way to tell if Roku isn't accepting the certificate? I can tell you that the certificate is considered valid by all other devices besides the Roku devices, and that based on the info I can gather, is auto-renewed every 90 days and this current period started December 19 and ends March 19. Which means I was previously successfully connected to the server through the Roku device earlier in the current certificate's validation period.

Can you at least temporarily allow http connections and see if that works?

• Solution
zzelinski

Okay so my friend just updated the server to 4.8.1.0 and everything seems to work - my Roku TV can now login to the server and works as expected. He says it was last updated no more than a few months ago, but he forgot to note what version it started at before he performed this update - apologies, I was hoping to be able to provide that info.

Still no idea why the issue would start to happen sometime in the last few weeks, but at least it's fixed. 

@ebrthank you for your continued troubleshooting responses, I really appreciate the help! 

Edited by zzelinski
Forgot a detail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1