Media keys not working when Emby Theatre has focus

digilur

digilur

The play key doesn't toggle play/pause in Emby Theatre when the app has focus. Running version 1.1.538.0 on Windows 11 x64 Pro 23H2 (build 22631). To be exact, pressing the play key with the app open appears to result in a double-press, you can see the play/pause icon flash quickly. If I press the key 10 times, perhaps one of those times I win the race and it works.

Similar funkiness with the next/previous keys. If I press next or previous with the app in focus, my play queue disappears. Note that all of this appears tied to focus, as even if I click off the window on to the desktop, things work as they should.

I saw there was a feature request last year asking for the media keys to work in the background, and they do now indeed do that. Perhaps whatever key press event that was created for the app when it doesn't have focus is firing along with the key press event for when the app has focus?

Hi @digilurwe are working on a new windows app and will make sure to test this as part of development for it. So stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, you may find this particular feature performs better with our downloaded windows app rather than the store one: https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

digilur

Hi @Luke, thanks for following up. I tried the downloaded app and yes, I can successfully use the media keys with the app in focus. However, the window management is problematic. Also, cannot use the media keys with the app out of focus.

Looking forward to the new app. In the meantime I'll try setting up VLC as an external player and see if that provides a workaround.

• Thanks 1