Playlist enhancements

ray-finkle

ray-finkle

The new playlist sharing features are great but could use some minor enhancements which would greatly enhance the UX.

1. A new default playlist view which would separate "My" playlists from "Shared with me". This would make it always easy to access personal playlists over whatever family decides to make shared. A big use case for playlists is a "Watch Later" list and this should be easy to find and access.
    1. Maybe it would be better to be able to favorite and show/hide playlists with a view showing favs in the top section, all else below. This way would be more flexible.
  2. Shared playlists should somehow denote they are shared and who the owner is.
  3. Deleting playlists should not prompt about deleting a file from the system; what's happening on the back end is irrelevant and this is likely to cause concern for any non admin users.
  4. A user should be able to delete playlists they create by default and not require explicit permission.

I think if these additional features were implemented, playlists would finally be complete.

• Like 2

A user should be able to delete playlists they create by default and not require explicit permission.

Hi, this is already the case.

But yes, i certainly agree on #2 and #3.

rbjtech

@LukeJust while on-topic (let me know if you want this created in the main forum) 

While experimenting with playlist permissions - I've noticed that if I try and delete an item from a playlist that I only have 'view' on - then I get a nice message saying I don't have permissions (great), but if I try and Add an item to that same playlist - I get a spinning circle (browser) and it does nothing.    I was expecting the same message.

I'm going to try with some of the other clients to double check - but thought you should know.

Thanks.

Edited by rbjtech

5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

if I try and delete an item from a playlist that I only have 'view' on

Actually, I would think that the option shouldn't even be there.

5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

if I try and Add an item to that same playlist

Again - this shouldn't be possible.  Exactly how are you adding it?

ray-finkle
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, this is already the case.

But yes, i certainly agree on #2 and #3.

You are correct, this is already the case. Thanks

rbjtech
47 minutes ago, ebr said:

Again - this shouldn't be possible.  Exactly how are you adding it?

Just by selecting the movie and right clicking to 'add to playlist'.   It's listing the playlist because that user has 'view' rights but not 'edit' rights - thus they should not be able to add it I agree, but it should just tell them that, rather than blue-circle/crash.   With delete - it does.    ie I go into playlists - I only have 'view' permissions - I try and delete an item (remove from playlist) and it then gives me a error dialogue box saying I don't have permissions.  That is fine.

It's also doing some strange things with double showing the playlists - despite there being only a single version in \data\userplaylists\ ...🤔

Let me setup a simple example and I'll show the exact steps.  Thanks !

52 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

It's listing the playlist because that user has 'view' rights but not 'edit' rights - thus they should not be able to add it I agree, but it should just tell them that

IMO it shouldn't be in the list because you cannot add to it.

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, ebr said:

IMO it shouldn't be in the list because you cannot add to it.

Yep - that would negate the need to even give the user a rejection message - I don't disagree.  If they want to view what's in the list, then they can view it in Playlists.

So following that logic - I agree with your other point - why give the user the option to remove an item (with a rejection message) if they don't have permission - simply remove the option to from the drop down menu .. ;)

Gotcha .. Its been a long day .. ☺️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@LukeJust while on-topic (let me know if you want this created in the main forum) 

While experimenting with playlist permissions - I've noticed that if I try and delete an item from a playlist that I only have 'view' on - then I get a nice message saying I don't have permissions (great), but if I try and Add an item to that same playlist - I get a spinning circle (browser) and it does nothing.    I was expecting the same message.

I'm going to try with some of the other clients to double check - but thought you should know.

Thanks.

Apps will need to be updated to not allow you to try and do that in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech

@Luke  @ebr Thanks for the updates to this,  playlist permissions are almost working perfectly for me now. 

No more errors in the 4.8.1.0 Release. 👍

In the scenerio that I'm using them for (the shared 'watch list' feature) it would be REALLY handy to have the ability to ADD to a playlist, but not DELETE from it.

Currently, if you give 'Edit' rights (in a Public or Private Playlist) that user can add or delete.

Is this something that you would consider adding ?  

Thanks !

Edited by rbjtech

What if they add the wrong item?  That would be pretty frustrating, wouldn't it?

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

What if they add the wrong item?  That would be pretty frustrating, wouldn't it?

For this scenerio - that isn't how it's being typically used - they are already 'in' the item and via the context menu, they are adding to the shared watchlists (playlists) as a Recommendation for somebody else or all Users if they have permissions.

Yes they can of course do this my mistake, but the fact they have got that far, suggests they know what they are doing (haha, famous last words ..).

I totally get your point though but just throught I'd ask, no worries, I'll use what I've got for now .. :)

Thanks !

ray-finkle

@rbjtechSeems like we have similar uses of playlists.

For me, recommendations from others users will now be their own playlist shared by them view only. The person making the rec carries a lot of weight, which is motivation for my initial requests.

In the past, I've toyed around with one of the playlist plugins and had favorited items go into a playlist for from that user, thereby making an "X's Favs" playlist... still not sure how I feel about it. What I really want is users to be able to rate items, then be able to sort and view those ratings, but I think this is a pipe dream. Maybe if plugins could affect the GUI but that's a whole other topic.

Now that Trakt is configurable per user I'll have to finally take a look into it. Maybe it can fulfill some of these desires.

• Like 1

rbjtech
13 minutes ago, ray-finkle said:

@rbjtechSeems like we have similar uses of playlists.

For me, recommendations from others users will now be their own playlist shared by them view only. The person making the rec carries a lot of weight, which is motivation for my initial requests.

In the past, I've toyed around with one of the playlist plugins and had favorited items go into a playlist for from that user, thereby making an "X's Favs" playlist... still not sure how I feel about it. What I really want is users to be able to rate items, then be able to sort and view those ratings, but I think this is a pipe dream. Maybe if plugins could affect the GUI but that's a whole other topic.

Now that Trakt is configurable per user I'll have to finally take a look into it. Maybe it can fulfill some of these desires.

I'm just updating my previous script to pull the 'playlists' (named as Watchlists) into a library for the each individual user (so they get a 'Watchlist' ROW on the main screen) plus a 'All Users' or 'Spotlight' library - again, on it's own ROW.    Only certain users have access to add/delete to the Spotlight library.  Users can now have different permissions to view/add/delete from each others watchlists - thus updating what that user sees in their ROW for that day.

The issue with 'favorites' is you can't favorite it for somebody else - and that's what this script does.   But you 'could' count the favorites - and if multiple people like the same item, then add it to the 'Spotlight' row - a 'Trending' type thing.

I may, if I manage to find the time, put it into a plugin - as the time consuming bit is manually settings up all the playlists and playlist permissions, but mine has been working for months this way - but without playlist permissions - so now we have that, I need to re-achitect it a little bit ... 🤪

This was the original idea (before playlists even had permissions) ..

Edited by rbjtech

amazingstories

We could do like Youtube. Your playlist is yours to share. If someone wants to make changes, they have to IMPORT the playlist INTO a playlist of their own (pre-existing or newly created). Shared edits are only good for shared playlists and that's rare between users. Shared playlists more often than not show up on shared accounts. Solves all problems. New items can be recommended. And imported. Import can have a "exclude duplicates" option, and select items option and voila. All done.

Step wise:

First User Second User
  1. Create playlist
  2. Share to everyone
  3. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  1. Watch parts of playlist
  2. Loves it
  3. Wants to make changes
  4. Selects import playlist
  5. Selects "new playlist"
  6. Enters name of new playlist
  7. Updates new playlist
  8. Adds new entries
  9. Shares to everyone
  10. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  1. Receives updated playlist notification
  2. Thinks its worth adding the new entries to own playlist
  3. Selects "Import playlist"
  4. Selects "existing playlist"
  5. Select "Ignore duplicates" (would import dupes otherwise)
  6. Import complete
  7. First playlist now has the new entries from second user.
  8. New changes made
  9. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  1. Receives notification of Updated playlist from first user
  2. Selects "import playlist"
  3. Selects "Existing playlist"
  4. Selects "ignore duplicates"
  5. Select "tag items individually"
  6. Completes import
  7. New playlist is updated
  8. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  9. Decides does not want further notifications
  10. Unsubscribes from playlist from first user.

Edited by amazingstories

6 hours ago, amazingstories said:

We could do like Youtube. Your playlist is yours to share. If someone wants to make changes, they have to IMPORT the playlist INTO a playlist of their own (pre-existing or newly created). Shared edits are only good for shared playlists and that's rare between users. Shared playlists more often than not show up on shared accounts. Solves all problems. New items can be recommended. And imported. Import can have a "exclude duplicates" option, and select items option and voila. All done.

Step wise:

First User Second User
  1. Create playlist
  2. Share to everyone
  3. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  1. Watch parts of playlist
  2. Loves it
  3. Wants to make changes
  4. Selects import playlist
  5. Selects "new playlist"
  6. Enters name of new playlist
  7. Updates new playlist
  8. Adds new entries
  9. Shares to everyone
  10. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  1. Receives updated playlist notification
  2. Thinks its worth adding the new entries to own playlist
  3. Selects "Import playlist"
  4. Selects "existing playlist"
  5. Select "Ignore duplicates" (would import dupes otherwise)
  6. Import complete
  7. First playlist now has the new entries from second user.
  8. New changes made
  9. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  1. Receives notification of Updated playlist from first user
  2. Selects "import playlist"
  3. Selects "Existing playlist"
  4. Selects "ignore duplicates"
  5. Select "tag items individually"
  6. Completes import
  7. New playlist is updated
  8. Everyone gets notified per notification settings of playlist sharing
  9. Decides does not want further notifications
  10. Unsubscribes from playlist from first user.

Right you can already do this by adding one playlist to another.

amazingstories

So is the playlist shared by someone else read-only? I haven't tried playlists yet. Is this in 4.7.x or 4.8.x?

1 minute ago, amazingstories said:

So is the playlist shared by someone else read-only? I haven't tried playlists yet. Is this in 4.7.x or 4.8.x?

Starting in 4.8, they are private to the user who created them, but they can be shared with other users, if the user is granted permission to share personal content.

amazingstories

Hm. Private vs public. But what about read-only vs read-write? I think that's the part I was concerned with.

Also, when did 4.8.1.0 come out? I'm on 4.7.14.0 and it seems rock solid. I can't seem to find the 4.8.1.0 forum post or the beta forum. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Edited by amazingstories

7 minutes ago, amazingstories said:

Hm. Private vs public. But what about read-only vs read-write? I think that's the part I was concerned with.

Also, when did 4.8.1.0 come out? I'm on 4.7.14.0 and it seems rock solid. I can't seem to find the 4.8.1.0 forum post or the beta forum. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Yes when the user shares the playlist they can choose read/write access for specific people.

amazingstories

Is there an announcement post or something for 4.8.1.0? I could not find it in Announcements. Should I look elsewhere?

23 hours ago, amazingstories said:

Is there an announcement post or something for 4.8.1.0? I could not find it in Announcements. Should I look elsewhere?

Hi, we'll have a blog announcement up in the next day or so. Thanks.