Password entry screen reveals entered password to onlookers

drodner

drodner

The password or PIN entry screen on Emby for Roku makes it too easy for onlookers (e.g. kids) to figure out what password or PIN is being entered. As you hit OK on the Roku remote for every character you "type" on the on-screen keyboard, it makes a sound and shows the character entered (for a second, before it changes to a '*') in the password text box at the top. It's trivially easy for my kids to watch and listen to see what password or PIN I'm entering, and thus defeats the purpose of having a password on my account to prevent them from getting to R-rated or TV-MA content.

I'm not sure what the best solution to this is, as I understand that you also want feedback for the person entering the password/PIN to see/hear if they've made a mistake.

Thanks!

Hi.  I agree that this maybe isn't ideal but this is the standard behavior of pretty much all such "masked" entry on all TV platforms I've seen.  The behavior is provided by the Roku system and is not really under our control.

voiceTextEditBox.secureLastCharacter

Roku does allow the last character to be mapped into the same bullet character right away without any delay. Which makes it so the password can be entered entirely as bullets all the way masking all characters immediately as they are entered. You can just tell password length.

image.png.c4cea112f961d02be02cd597c4c7efc0.png

But the person in the room can still see which characters you linger on and probably figure it out. Kids aren't stupid. But there is a way to secure the last character entered it just secures it on the display. The keyboard and the movement and such is still clearly visible.

Edited by speechles