4.8.0.80 requires password every time switching profiles on LG TV

Jinksy74

Jinksy74

Since the update to 4.8.0.80 last week - every time I switch profiles on the LG WebOS version of the app - it requires the user password to be re-entered. This isn't so bad as I have the LG magic remote so it's as easy to enter as having a mouse BUT 4.7 allowed me to set to not ask for password on LAN. I can't find that setting any longer in 4.8.0.80.

Switching profiles on Windows / Android isn't asking for the password each time. LG TV is hardwired on ethernet & Windows / Android are on WiFi - but all the same LAN.

Hello Jinksy74,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Jinksy74

I understand now that this is because the option from removed for security reasons. Likely looking for a future update of the Emby App on WebOS - not sure when that may be penciled in but this is a minor inconvenience until then - thanks.

Hi, the next update to the Emby LG app will be brought up to speed with 4.8 features and will support both multi-user login as well as the new profile pin feature of 4.8.

It is currently in LG review so hopefully it will be available to you within the next week or two. Thanks.

Jinksy74
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, the next update to the Emby LG app will be brought up to speed with 4.8 features and will support both multi-user login as well as the new profile pin feature of 4.8.

It is currently in LG review so hopefully it will be available to you within the next week or two. Thanks.

Thanks for the speedy reply Luke! Looking forward to the update - have a great day :)

• Thanks 1

Jinksy74
** UPDATE ** Emby app updated today (13/02/2024) on WebOS & asked for password first time then if I wanted to use the new PIN moving forward & this now works perfectly as promised - thought I'd provide the update in case anyone else was experiencing this issue.

Thanks so much again Luke & all the Emby Dev team :)

nodiaque

Hello,

I want to chime in. Got the app today too, 1.0.41 I think the build. I'm not in love with that new pin feature. The pin prompt only if I close the app, something that doesn't happen very often but that's something I can live with. I'm used to not check the "keep me sign" and just enter a pin lock.

Problem is if someone click on emby, it request my pin. There's no way to "change user", so the app is now locked. For me, the last pin that could be used to login from a local account was better. Now, I'm "forced" to enter my complexe password using the onscreen keyboard (which everyone see what I'm typing) instead of the simple pin code I was entering using the digit on my remote (like the corrent pin but as a password).

I don't really get what this new "pin" provide.

edit: Found out if I move the magic mouse, a X appear in the top left corner which send me to the password screen, then I can click on top right icon and select change user to get back to the user selection screen. It's a very lengthy process vs just entering the pin as a password like it used to. Unless I change my password for only number (won't happen), I'm stuck using the onscreen keyboard to enter my password, for everyone to see

Edited by nodiaque

I want to chime in. Got the app today too, 1.0.41 I think the build. I'm not in love with that new pin feature. The pin prompt only if I close the app, something that doesn't happen very often but that's something I can live with. I'm used to not check the "keep me sign" and just enter a pin lock.

Problem is if someone click on emby, it request my pin. There's no way to "change user", so the app is now locked. For me, the last pin that could be used to login from a local account was better. Now, I'm "forced" to enter my complexe password using the onscreen keyboard (which everyone see what I'm typing) instead of the simple pin code I was entering using the digit on my remote (like the corrent pin but as a password).

The next update will take care of both of these.

With the next update, if you uncheck Remember Me, you'll get the login screen like you want, but still be able to use the profile pin if you reenter the same user as before. So this will give you the best of both worlds.

We're going to get a new update submitted to LG by the end of the week, so stay tuned.

Jinksy74
13 hours ago, Luke said:

The next update will take care of both of these.

With the next update, if you uncheck Remember Me, you'll get the login screen like you want, but still be able to use the profile pin if you reenter the same user as before. So this will give you the best of both worlds.

We're going to get a new update submitted to LG by the end of the week, so stay tuned.

Thanks! I have since found the same issue - when logged into the WebOS app as my (admin rights) user it asked me if I wanted to use the new PIN, which I did & all was fine - however, when my wife then attempted to come onto the app the next day after the TV was off overnight, the app was just hanging on the 'emby' logo on the black screen. This also happened yesterday evening when attempting to switch from her (non-admin) user back to my (admin) user. I never proactively close apps on WebOS, simply going to the next app & back & forth has always been fine. I'll check later to see if I can get the 'x' to close the app to get the login screen back. I managed to get the app back up & running last night by completely uninstalling it on the TV then re-installing & running through the initial setup - adding the server address etc. But the new update sounds promising & I'm certainly never here to moan, I just like to point out issues that you guys are always really receptive to & engage with us users to get them resolved. 4.8 has been a bit bumpy for me with minor things here & there but it's now running pretty sweetly & I don't agree with all these loud posts on Reddit for example with people simply saying they're dumping Emby because of a few issues with a major new update. Thank you from a long-term Premiere user who's also been a Plex Pass subscriber in the past but moved to Emby as it really is so much better :)

nodiaque
1 hour ago, Jinksy74 said:

Thanks! I have since found the same issue - when logged into the WebOS app as my (admin rights) user it asked me if I wanted to use the new PIN, which I did & all was fine - however, when my wife then attempted to come onto the app the next day after the TV was off overnight, the app was just hanging on the 'emby' logo on the black screen. This also happened yesterday evening when attempting to switch from her (non-admin) user back to my (admin) user. I never proactively close apps on WebOS, simply going to the next app & back & forth has always been fine. I'll check later to see if I can get the 'x' to close the app to get the login screen back. I managed to get the app back up & running last night by completely uninstalling it on the TV then re-installing & running through the initial setup - adding the server address etc. But the new update sounds promising & I'm certainly never here to moan, I just like to point out issues that you guys are always really receptive to & engage with us users to get them resolved. 4.8 has been a bit bumpy for me with minor things here & there but it's now running pretty sweetly & I don't agree with all these loud posts on Reddit for example with people simply saying they're dumping Emby because of a few issues with a major new update. Thank you from a long-term Premiere user who's also been a Plex Pass subscriber in the past but moved to Emby as it really is so much better :)

Multiple thing to help you here

1) When on the pin screen, if you move the magic mouse, you will see a small X in the top left corner to close the pin code.

2) If you want to close an app, there's 2 easy way on LG. 1rst one is to press the home button so the bottom bar appear. Once you're there, move the magic mouse to the EMBY name on top left of the screen (the name from LG not from the app). A X will appear once you are on top of it on the right to close the apps. The 2nd method is when you are in an app, hold the back button. This will kill the app.

• Like 1

Jinksy74
11 minutes ago, nodiaque said:

Multiple thing to help you here

1) When on the pin screen, if you move the magic mouse, you will see a small X in the top left corner to close the pin code.

2) If you want to close an app, there's 2 easy way on LG. 1rst one is to press the home button so the bottom bar appear. Once you're there, move the magic mouse to the EMBY name on top left of the screen (the name from LG not from the app). A X will appear once you are on top of it on the right to close the apps. The 2nd method is when you are in an app, hold the back button. This will kill the app.

Thanks for this! I'll try later this evening 👍

• 3 weeks later...
Jinksy74

Just checking in again to say the latest LG app update (literally just installed) - fixed the issues & it's all working fabulously again & seems a bit nippier too.

• Thanks 1

nodiaque

I just saw 1.0.42 in the LG store too. I see that if I sign out, I still require to enter my password. Is there a way to put back the pin on local network like it was before? It was already there before the change.

4 minutes ago, nodiaque said:

I just saw 1.0.42 in the LG store too. I see that if I sign out, I still require to enter my password. Is there a way to put back the pin on local network like it was before? It was already there before the change.

Hi, what do you mean by sign out?

nodiaque

Well, here is what I tested.

I open the app, no one is logged. I click on my user, enter my password without ticking "remember me".

- If I click top right user icon ==> Change user, I get back to user login. If I click on my account, I'm logged in without password or pin directly into my account.

- If I switch to youtube app and come back to emby, I don't have any password/pin to enter.

- If I click top right user icon ==> Sign-Out, I get back to the user login page.If I click on my user, I must enter my password again.

- If I close the app and start the app, I'm sent to the login screen. When I click on my account, I must enter my pin.

- If I click on my account in the top left menu, I'm sent to the login screen. When I click on my account, I'm logged without password/pin.

Now, if I sign out and close everything. Then I come back to the login screen, enter my password and check "remember me", I get a prompt asking if I want to be prompt a PIN when I return. If I press yes, it send me to my emby.

- If I click top right user icon ==> change user, I get sent back to the login screen. If I click on my account, I must enter a password

- If I switch to youtube app and come back to emby, I don't have any password/pin to enter.

- If I click top right user icon ==> Sign-Out, I get back to the user login page.If I click on my user, I must enter my password again.

- If I close the app and start it back, I receive a PIN prompt. I'm not sent to the login screen.

- If I click on my account in the top left menu, I'm sent to the login screen. When I click on my account, I must enter a password

Now, if I sign out and close everything. Then I come back to the login screen, enter my password and check "remember me", I get a prompt asking if I want to be prompt a PIN when I return. If I press no, it send me to my emby.

- If I click top right user icon ==> change user, I get sent back to the login screen. If I click on my account, I'm logged in without a password or pin directly into my account.

- If I switch from youtube and then back to emby, nothing I'm in directly.

- If I close the app and start it back, I'm directly logged into my account, no password or pin.

- If I click on my account in the top left menu, I'm sent to the login screen. When I click on my account,, I'm logged in without a password or pin directly into my account.

I haven't tested what happen if I logged or try to log with another account cause I don't have other user around me currently. But right now, there's stuff that don't really work. I colored the difference between each scenario.

For me what I would like is the old behavior where when I click on my user, in the password field, I can simply enter my pin instead when I'm on the local network. For now, the only way to do this is to enter at least one my password on the keyboard for everyone to see and then select the scenario I want. If I don't check remember me (what I'm used to do), as long as the app isn't close, my account is "logged" and I can enter my pin to unlock when I close it. But if someone else connect? Probably will have to enter my password.

If I remember my password and select yes to pin, I still have to enter my password if someone click on change user or sign-out.

If I remember my password and select no to pin, then I never have to enter my pin, closing the app allow anyone to start it directly in my account and the only time my password is required is if someone click sign out.

My old behavior was to not remember the password. The app log me off when I close the tv and when I got back, I just click on my account and instead of entering my pass, I entered my pin since I was on the local network.

So to avoid having to reenter your password, use Change User to switch users rather than doing a full sign-out.

If I close the app and start it back, I'm directly logged into my account, no password or pin.

This is the part that needs improvement still, is leaving the app and coming back. Ultimately this should make you enter your pin again.

Does that answer your questions?

nodiaque

Using change user doesn't prevent other to use my account since when I click on change user and then my account, I'm logged in directly except if I check remember me AND click yes on the pin prompt, but this will then prompt me for my password. In all other case, it will just log me in directly.

Was way easier to just close the tv without remember me and then on login, I enter my pin instead of my password.

Using change user doesn't prevent other to use my account since when I click on change user and then my account, I'm logged in directly except if I check remember me AND click yes on the pin prompt, but this will then prompt me for my password.

Hi, if you do this, then no, it will prompt you with the pin dialog.

nodiaque

No, check my test scenario up. The only time that when I click on "change user", it ask for my  password (not pin) is when I click on remember me and says yes for the pin. But it ask for the password, not the pin. All other scenario, I don't get a pin/password prompt when I click on change user and click back on my account,

In the end, what I understand is there's no way to just get back the old pin code that was working fine that you entered instead of your password when you were on local network. I don't mind entering my account when I'm away, but on my local network, it was a very good thing...

On 3/7/2024 at 9:13 PM, nodiaque said:

No, check my test scenario up. The only time that when I click on "change user", it ask for my  password (not pin) is when I click on remember me and says yes for the pin. But it ask for the password, not the pin. All other scenario, I don't get a pin/password prompt when I click on change user and click back on my account,

In the end, what I understand is there's no way to just get back the old pin code that was working fine that you entered instead of your password when you were on local network. I don't mind entering my account when I'm away, but on my local network, it was a very good thing...

Can you try it again?