P2000 encoding not detected in Emby server 4.8.0.80

Sonus
Go to solution Solved by Sonus,

Sonus

After the update to Emby server 4.8.0.80 the advanced settings no longer display preferred hardware encoding for P2000. Hardware Decoding does display. The server is now using FFmpeg consistently. Im using windows server 12 and installed the latest driver update.

@Sonus- can you please post the hw detection log?

Also, which driver version do you have installed for the Nvidia GPU?

Sonus

Using the one below

Version:

R440 U4 (441.66)  WHQL
Release Date: 2019.12.10
Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 64, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 64
Language: English (US)
File Size: 388.19 MB

hardware_detection-63842708032.txt

Sonus

Hey I noticed a few years back I had a similar issue with Transcoding not working at all. The issue was with Windows media foundation. My current windows version doesnt have that installed. I do see there was an update to the latest server version (Fix unnecessary ffmpeg dependency on Windows Media Foundation)

Not sure if this would help or not

The hw detection log says it:

image.png.bee28383935039f9dad8b092d2264638.png

The driver is too old. We had to switch to a new minimum API version in order to use new features (e.g. AV1 decoding).
Anway, it's a 12 year old OS, so...

Things you can try

One thing you can try is to install a driver from the 300 version range like this one: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/154173/en-us/
Yet I'm not sure whether it supports NVENC 11.0 (despite the message in the log)

Then you can also try whether one of the newer drivers might work, which officially support Server 2012 R2 only. Maybe one can still work on Server 2012.
I wouldn't try the latest but rather a little older ones - maybe one from the 300 range and one from the 400 range, which would be:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/177168/en-us

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/177161/en-us

If none of this will work, then your only chance is to update to Win Server 2012 R2 or later.

Sonus

The hardware log states api 9.1 detected and 390.77 or newer . When I look at the driver on my server it's as the picture attached.  I can try the others but am I missing something?

20240205_082413.jpg

11 minutes ago, Sonus said:

The hardware log states api 9.1 detected and 390.77 or newer . When I look at the driver on my server it's as the picture attached.  I can try the others but am I missing something?

Yes.

This is not about DirectX, it's about the Nvidia Video Codec SDK.

Sonus

Is it OK to roll back to the previous server version until I do the upgrade?

Right a server roll back will require either restoring from a database backup or a fresh start altogether.

Maybe it's a good time to update Windows?

Sonus

Yeah I could update but risk losing entire setup. ID rather do a fresh start untill im confident an upgrade will work

A Windows Server update is not like an Emby update, i.e, it's very unlikely to "lose" anything because millions have done it before with quite a share of them being mission critical systems. I would be careful when it would be an update to a more recent version, but 2012 to 2012 R2 is Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, which would probably have been just a service pack if the public reception of Win8 wouldn't have been as bad as it was. 
Doing a system backup before updating is still mandatory, of course.

Sonus

Yeah I'm going to look into it.  The problem is I'm using an unregistered version. 

• Solution
Sonus

Updated the windows server OS and now works great.

Thanks for the Help!

• Thanks 1