Emby still going rogue on Music Library imports

wordlover
Go to solution Solved by wordlover,

wordlover
  • Rotate Emby log
  • Full full scan (from Library page in Settings) - all files/albums are in Emby, ALBUMARTIST is displayed inconsistently with what we see in FFProbe and MP3Tag and other metatag apps.
  • Remove entire Éthiopiques directory and all subdirectories from Music Library directory
  • Full full scan (from Library page in Settings)
  • Confirm NONE of those files are in Emby - a search shows nothing that even begins with "ethio"
  • Move full directory back into Music Library directory
  • Full full scan (from Library page in Settings)

Results: 

• ALBUMARTIST displayed everywhere in Emby still hasn't been changed, even though 1. all .nfo files are updated with new import time and <ALBUMARTIST> correctly includes accent over first letter, and 2. artist metadata directory also correctly has accent. Screenshots and files:

Happy2Play

Which suggest a broken database entry.

Not sure if there is a way to check in swagger but would manually verify if exists in database as a search usually does not show empty/broken fields in the database.

Right if it’s not getting removed then that means there is still something in the database linking to it.

The good news is that with 4.8 the database is so strict now that I’m almost positive this won’t happen anymore. But unfortunately that’s not going to help with existing dead records created by older versions.

wordlover

So are debugging attempts done and shall I now make a manual edit (where? albumartist metadata screen?) and see if that sticks?emby72.png.c16fce1354e5d1bfac1569bbe386d3a5.png

Happy2Play

@Lukewould deleting the Artist in UI the Refreshing metadata on all the Songs correct the issue.  

Or delete the artist, remove the library, scan, readd the library.

Just now, Happy2Play said:

@Lukewould deleting the Artist in UI the Refreshing metadata on all the Songs correct the issue.  

Or delete the artist, remove the library, scan, readd the library.

It might actually.

wordlover

There are hundreds and hundreds of tracks. Is there a way to refresh metadata without having to go individually to each song? (I think I saw this challenge reported elsewhere in these forums.)

And how could one even "delete AlbumArtist in UI"?

Edited by wordlover

wordlover

And please, I'm a damn moron - please be precise and complete in your instructions, as you have asked me to be thorough and precise in my reporting to you.

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, wordlover said:

There are hundreds and hundreds of tracks. Is there a way to refresh metadata without having to go individually to each song? (I think I saw this challenge reported elsewhere in these forums.)

And how could one even "delete AlbumArtist in UI"?

Right click on Artist or AlbumArtist.  As for track are they in same location I would try Refreshing from Folder View at top level.

But might be easiest to delete artist then remove media and scan.

Edited by Happy2Play

wordlover

Aw c'mon - there is no way to delete an AlbumArtist if there are tracks in the library by that AlbumArtist, and if I remove the files, the AlbumArtist DOES NOT APPEAR IN EMBY as I demonstrated above. Luke, can you give me a hand here? 

emby01.png

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, wordlover said:

Aw c'mon - there is no way to delete an AlbumArtist if there are tracks in the library by that AlbumArtist, and if I remove the files, the AlbumArtist DOES NOT APPEAR IN EMBY as I demonstrated above. Luke, can you give me a hand here? 

emby01.png

Does the user have delete options disabled in user configs?

image.png.f155742d161df0b465b849752abf45f9.png 

• Solution
wordlover

Ah. That's it. Music file deletion from within Emby is not permitted in settings, because I would never delete music files (unlike watched TV/movies, for which deletion is permitted), and I am not going to trust Emby to delete an AlbumArtist entry in its database but not delete the underlying files.

I did manual metadata change, and it seems to be holding, so I'm done here. There are other AlbumArtist metadata problems I will report in a new thread. Thanks @Lukefor your attention to this. I hope you're right that the new 4.8 db structure does indeed make a mess like this no longer possible.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, wordlover said:

I hope you're right that the new 4.8 db structure does indeed make a mess like this no longer possible.

But that really only applies to new installs as all upgrade dbs have all the issues from the day they were born.  So my db that has migrate since say the begining of 4.0 will always have quirks unless I decide to nuke and rebuild.

• Sad 1

wordlover

@LukeWhich do I need to do:

1. add a new Music library pointed at the same directory to create a fresh db for that library, or

2. move all music files, destroy existing Music library, and start over by creating a new Music library pointed to a directory with a different name, or

3. do a complete uninstall and fresh install of Emby?