Some questions about subtitles

crabgg

crabgg
I found some issues with subtitle display. When I open the same browser and use Emby and Jellyfin to play the same movie, their ability to support subtitles is completely different. I have provided different gif animations in the attachment for display. Moreover, Emby's support for ASS subtitles is also very limited. The above situation occurs when browser playback or APP playback requires transcoding. If it is directly streamed and the decoding is completed by the local player, this problem does not exist.
The above are the problems encountered in version 4.7. Yesterday I upgraded to the official version of 4.8, and encountered an even more outrageous problem. The subtitles actually drifted away. It doesn't display properly at all.
In addition, emby's support for ASS subtitles is extremely poor. The same video that can be played on Jellyfin cannot be played after being read to the end on emby.
This kind of subtitle problem prevents me from using emby to transcode and watch the movie. I can only use jellyfin to transcode and watch it normally.

The key issue is that Jellyfin is a free software, while I have a paid subscription to Emby. As a result, even the basic subtitle support function is not as good as the former, which is unacceptable to me.

emby4.7.gif

emby4.8.gif

jellyfin.gif

solidsnakex37
11 hours ago, crabgg said:

The same video that can be played on Jellyfin cannot be played after being read to the end on emby.

I have this exact same issue. Video files that contain ASS format subs play back horribly, or sometimes don't display at all when using Emby. 

Playing back that same file in Jellyfin, works perfectly. 

However as you said it's only when Emby is transcoding the subs or doing burn in, direct play is fine since Emby doesn't touch them in that case. 

Whereas Jellyfin transcoding subs also works, amazingly well. 

I posted an issue about this and provided many log examples but it was just written off as my system was the issue, which sucks. Doesn't make sense that my system is an issue for Emby, but not for Jellyfin. More of a rant at this point, but I came from Jellyfin to Emby over a year ago, moving from a free product to a paid product and somehow, support for my media has been spotty at best.