Server update to v4.8.0.80 - Empty new tags appeared

Painkiller8818
Go to solution Solved by oesi03,

Painkiller8818

Server: 4.8.0.80
Client: WEB

Hello, i found out that after the update i now have new tags, but they are all empty so i can't find which media elements have those tags.
They haven't existed before.

Any way to delete the empty tags?

Can i find them in a folder in emby file structure or can i delete them directly in the database?

I have no idea where they come from and how to get rid of them, all of them are empty without elements.
On the screenshot all of them without an image are new empty tags
image.thumb.png.bd1996f80880c29510f53c93bdad0046.png

thanks

Painkiller8818

Update, all of them seems to be music tags, but even if i use the bulky editor, it sees 50 elements with tags but can't display them.

i used filter has tag = true

image.thumb.png.4bf41949ec29c52a7e3fbd02d80b6990.png

gillmacca01

If you have removed the tags at album level, there could be tags still present at the song level 

Painkiller8818

i never created those tags and they weren't there before the update.

Also the bulk editor can't find elemets containing those tags.

Painkiller8818

how can i get rid of them? This is just since the update and when i click on them i have no files showing up, so there is no chance for me to figure out which files those are.

I know that they are some music files.

Can you please update it so emby just sees emby tags not some tags?

Thanks

You have to find the items containing the tags and then remove them. Unfortunately since your screenshots are cutouts, no context can be determined from that so it's hard to offer much more advice than that.

The server didn't invent these tags, and they most likely are not new in the 4.8 release. They probably were always there but 4.7 just wasn't displaying them.

Painkiller8818

is there a way to directly identify the items in the database?

if yes could you please tell me which table i need to look at?

thanks

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

is there a way to directly identify the items in the database?

if yes could you please tell me which table i need to look at?

thanks

sql gods may know the right way but in the mediaitems table go to name column type the tag name, go to id column to get id number.  Go to linkeditems2 table and put id in linkedid to get the items linked to that tag (itemid) column, then take those itemids back to mediaitems table to lookup what they are.

2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

sql gods may know the right way but in the mediaitems table go to name column type the tag name, go to id column to get id number.  Go to linkeditems2 table and put id in linkedid to get the items linked to that tag (itemid) column, then take those itemids back to mediaitems table to lookup what they are.

Yes that sounds right.

Painkiller8818
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Has this helped?

yes thanks

• Thanks 1

Painkiller8818

So the solution was like happy2play described, but the problem was caused because of the theme.mp3 songs i let download for the movies.

so now i just took all theme.mp3 files and removed all tags except title and artist.

Thanks

OK I don't think this would happen with newly imported theme music. Thanks for the investigation.

HouseOfCards

For those that stumble across this...

I also had some problematic tags in a few albums.  I keep everything tagged perfectly using Picard before I add to Emby, so I checked why.  There is a tag called "Grouping" that shows in Picard, and although you can remove it and successfully save the file, Picard doesn't seem to remove that tag.  No matter how many times you edit the file and re-add to Emby, the tags in that "Grouping" field remain.

The solution is to edit the tag with another application.  I used Clementine.  It seems to remove the "Grouping" tag fine, and the offending tags vanish after re-scanning the library.  There must be a setting/bug in Picard, or it doesn't edit certain versions of tags... whatever.  But if you remove the "Grouping" tag it cleans up the tags in Emby.

Have a great day...

• Like 1

Painkiller8818

yes for me it also was the grouping tag, but i don't know why emby now reacts on this tag

HouseOfCards

Not sure...  I'm finding now that when I create a playlist, the screen includes the "comment" field from the metadata.  Back in the day, I think it was Windows Media Player that stored volume leveling information in that field, so now all my playlists are starting to be displayed with tracks like this from when I ripped them from my CD's...

Screenshot_20240208_115326.png.d520e0e538fc930eb1eabc317fe2d837.png

Emby doesn't seem to write the NFO files for music tracks (unless I'm missing the option somewhere), and the playlists don't seem to update from above if you remove the comment in Emby's database.  Looks like once you add the track, it permanently shows this comment in the listing, even if you refresh the metadata.  That means I would have to completely scour  my files and edit the metadata once again, which I'm not interested in doing... then re-add to the playlist once the comment is deleted?

Ughhhh....

HouseOfCards

So the playlists DO update when you remove the comment in Emby, but you can't seem to make the changes "sticky" with an NFO...  But it's progress.

3 hours ago, HouseOfCards said:

So the playlists DO update when you remove the comment in Emby, but you can't seem to make the changes "sticky" with an NFO...  But it's progress.

Where did you remove the comment from?

HouseOfCards
21 hours ago, Luke said:

Where did you remove the comment from?

I can remove the comment by editing the metadata for the song.  Emby is pulling that comment from the file itself, because Windows Media Player years ago thought that was a good place to store volume-leveling information.  I ripped these CD's many years ago, so there are thousands of songs with the comment embedded.  Not something I want to tackle...  LOL

This wouldn't be a real display issue if we had a way to customize the fields a playlist showed, but I can't find that.  It seems to automatically decide fields and icon sizes without a way to tell it not to display the comment field.

• Thanks 1

Tremas

@HouseOfCardsthere are plenty of music/media managers out there that can automatically clear the comment tag (or any tag) on a selected group of files. MediaMonkey and Mp3Tag comes to mind. A quick google search should get you what you need.

• Thanks 1

Painkiller8818

@Luke Ok in my case this seems to be a problem i can't solve.

The Tags that came from the mp3tag "GROUPING" are just in the theme.mp3 files that i let download automatically from the movie theme plugin.

I already cleaned the grouping tag for all of my theme.mp3 but the tags does not disappear.

It seems as this is no information that is stored in a .nfo file like it is for normal music and albums, i don't have a chance to get rid of them.

I also tried to modify them manually in the database to rename them all to the same Tag name so i would have only one unneeded tag. but i can't rename them it is not allowed to rename them for me.

So i think there needs to come an improvement from emby dev team as those files are not handled like normal music files.

Maybe an option in emby to delete tags, as there is no such option right now.

So even all my theme.mp3 files are now cleaned, they never gets updated

Thanks

HouseOfCards

Even though I cleaned up and got rid of the tags in the Emby interface, if I scour through the backup, the tags are still there in the backup data as well.  They hang around in case you were to use them again, I guess?  Seems there should be an option to manage tags somewhere, added to the interface.  I'm sure it'll get worked on for a future update now that we can see them....  It shouldn't be a terribly hard thing to add three dots... delete...

11 hours ago, HouseOfCards said:

Even though I cleaned up and got rid of the tags in the Emby interface, if I scour through the backup, the tags are still there in the backup data as well.  They hang around in case you were to use them again, I guess?  Seems there should be an option to manage tags somewhere, added to the interface.  I'm sure it'll get worked on for a future update now that we can see them....  It shouldn't be a terribly hard thing to add three dots... delete...

Hi, did you not see that the metadata editor allows editing of tags?

Painkiller8818
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, did you not see that the metadata editor allows editing of tags?

Hi, no not really, where would this be? theme.mp3 files are not really listed items in my library.

Thanks