User Switching with User Pin on Roku

Zander3768
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Zander3768

I am having issues with user switching on the latest Roku app with Remember Me: Yes enabled (for shared Roku devices) and the server is running the 4.8.0.80 update. I can make it work on my other devices but not the Roku's. It asks if I want to use the pin when switching, I say yes, but it doesn't seem to remember other users logged in. Unless I am just doing it wrong. I seem to have figured it out on web, theater & android apps. Roku is the one that is confusing me. Thanks :)

@ebr

My procedure:

Navigate to username on top (only presented with two options Switch Server / Sign Out (no Change User option like the other apps))

I click Switch Server

Login with Account2

Account1 details are removed

When I try the same procedure with Sign Out instead, I get the same results.

(I didn't attach logs because I don't see this being a server problem since it works on other apps & no errors are logged)

15 hours ago, Zander3768 said:

Login with Account2

Account1 details are removed

Hi.  Sorry, I don't quite understand what that means?

15 hours ago, Zander3768 said:

only presented with two options Switch Server / Sign Out

Is your "Account2" set in the server to be hidden from login screens?

Zander3768

Hello @ebr

I will try to include some visuals.

Yes, all of my accounts are set to be hidden from login screens for security. (these are checked for all of my accounts)

IMG_20240203_2114342.jpg.3d0651de98b91535eff082c010d86dbc.jpg

However I was under the impression with the new server update (4.8.0.80) we would be able to switch users after they log into the device at least once. (i tried with & without a pin)
(Release Notes: "Add new profile pin feature. Useful for devices shared by multiple users.")

On the Android app (3.3.65) there is the option to "Change User" and I can switch between the accounts sharing that device (even with them set to be hidden from login screens)

IMG_20240203_2107392.jpg.10db0f5aba0b5b20a3cd0a92951c0864.jpg

On the Roku App (4.1.3) I only have a Switch Server and Sign Out option (no "Change User"). When I use either of those two options available (Switch Server / Sign Out) the account signing out is not remembered as seen in these next two images.

IMG_20240203_2113112.jpg.1e587fd8ed6593533762f83932a972d4.jpg

IMG_20240203_2113152.jpg.01926f564da9040611b1afc364ef71fc.jpg

IMG_20240203_2114332.jpg.a29bcf2ca81064575b7cd4d5977e1f5f.jpg

In the advanced settings of the Roku app (4.1.3) I do have the Remember Me option set to yes.

I was looking for the ability to "Change User" on the Roku Emby app as our living-room and office TVs are shared by several people and I hoped this feature would help us stop sharing accounts on those TVs. I would rather not expose user account details to the local network outside of devices the users have already logged into for security reasons (ie. the June incident).

This seems to be working on the web and Android app perfectly. I was hoping to see this same behavior on the Roku app as well. I really hope this is not another limitation on the Roku platform because that's where its needed the most.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Zander3768

• Solution
11 hours ago, Zander3768 said:

I can switch between the accounts sharing that device (even with them set to be hidden from login screens)

Isn't that defying the option that you set?  You said hide this user from login screens.  Why should it then show up on a switch user screen?

If you change your options to only having the last one checked (Hide this user from login screens on devices they've never signed into) then the Roku should follow that and do exactly what you wish.

Once you've logged into a Roku, that user will be available to directly switch to on that Roku but it won't be shown anywhere where it has never authenticated.

Further explanation: The first two options for hiding users pre-date the third one.  The behavior you are wanting is provided by the third option (only show users on devices where they have already authenticated) but, with the first two options checked, that third one is completely superfluous.  It won't matter what state it is in because you've already told the system to NEVER show a user on a login screen.

Zander3768

@ebr

Ahh! I see exactly what you are saying. I was a little confused between those two options I guess. unchecking "Hide this user from login screens on the local network" but keeping checked "hide this user from login screens on devices they've never signed into" is exactly what we are after. Makes sense. I was using the older option along with the newer option & it was canceling out what I was wanting to do with the Roku's. It works as expected now.

Thank-You for the clarification. That makes complete sense. 😀

Although the odd-ball thing is it behaves differently on web / android and i think that contributed to my confusion since then they aren't respecting when I had all of those options set since switch user worked on those methods. But that is probably cookie based & i know those work very differently than these "smart tv" apps lol. Thanks.

• Like 1