How do you transcode H.265/HEVC for use over DLNA?

Music100

Music100

I'm using emby 4.7.14 on an older Mac (OS 10.13) with DLNA to "play on" an Oppo BDP-105D. 

I can play music and H.264 video from emby onto the Oppo with DLNA perfectly.

When I try to play H.265/HEVC to the Oppo, it looks like it is about to play but doesn't start.  This is probably because the Oppo doesn't support H.265/HEVC.

Does one need to instruct emby to transcode H.265/HEVC to H.264?

I have created a custom DLNA profile, assuming it might be needed, but do you need to "select" the custom DLNA profile for it to be used?  How is that done?

I do not know that one must have a custom profile to transcode over DLNA, but I am assuming it.

If I had an option, I would set emby to transcode all H.265/HEVC to H.264 by default.  I don't know if that is possible, but it would be another solution.

Thanks.

@beckfieldcan you link him to your Dlna profile post? That may help him get his profile applied for his device. Thanks !

Music100

Thank you, beckfield, for the informative document.  It is helpful. 

It seems this is for using a media player to browse through the emby server and select media to play.

Could you clarify how it relates to the reverse action of "playing on" from emby to the media server, such as an Oppo?   In other words, does making a profile allow it to work in both directions?  Cheers.

beckfield
1 hour ago, Music100 said:

Could you clarify how it relates to the reverse action of "playing on" from emby to the media server, such as an Oppo?

Unfortunately I have never looked into casting much (I'm also fairly inexperienced with Emby), and this was my first foray into DLNA, so I have no idea how to get that to work, or if it's even possible.  My DLNA device appears on the casting device list, but playing something to it doesn't seem to work. I wouldn't mind knowing that myself.

@Luke?

Edit:  I found a topic where someone apparently got casting to DLNA at least partially functional, so it must at least be possible.  No details on how they did it, unfortunately.

Edited by beckfield

Music100

Much appreciated, and thanks for this.  I have casting working with audio files and H.264 video files. 

What's not working is casting H.65 files from emby.  I think I need to get emby to transcode the H.265 files to H.264 because the Oppo 105 can't play H.265.  I understand that emby transcoding is possible, but I don't know how to set emby to transcode the H.265 files to H.264 when casting.

Possibly Luke has an idea on this.

beckfield
3 hours ago, Music100 said:

I have casting working with audio files

Well, maybe you can help me, then.  Did you have to do anything to do this that isn't mentioned in that post I wrote?  I can play audio by selecting it on the DLNA device, but I can't cast to it from the server. 

The server log shows an error that I suspect is involved, and it may have nothing to do with Emby.  The error is:

2024-02-03 13:31:25.390 Warn Server: AUTH-ERROR: [IPAddress] - Access token is invalid or expired.
2024-02-03 13:31:25.390 Error Server: Access token is invalid or expired.

The IP address belongs to a wifi extender that is needed for the distance between server and device.  I have no expertise with access tokens, and why would it only crop up when casting, but not when playing from the device?

I've attached the server log, in case you or @Lukecare to have a look.

embyserver.txt

Music100

Thanks.   As far as being able to cast using DLNA, there were a few actions needed  first:

- Ensure the server can see the device you are trying to use DLNA with.  You should be able to ping the device you're trying to play on from the server on your network.  If not, I would resolve that first so the devices are "seeing" each other.

- Make sure that DLNA is turned on in emby (and the player itself might have a setting for this, too).

Once the networking is correct and DLNA enabled, it should show up using the casting "play on" button.  

I agree that your error message relates to the network and not emby.  I don't know about tokens, but you could try re-logging in if possible.

I didn't use "profiles" to make DLNA casting work with my devices. 

I hope that info helps.

beckfield

Yeah, all that's covered.  As I said, I can play music from the server via the remote device, so they clearly see each other.  I've come to the conclusion that either the stereo or the range extender don't support casting.  I have a more sophisticated stereo in the same room as the server, and I can cast to it with no difficulty, not going through the extender.

I could move the small stereo into the same room as the server, but that's more work than I care to do.  I don't really have a need to cast to this device.  This was merely an exercise to satisfy my curiosity.

Music100

Makes sense.   I also have a player that can access the server but can't be "cast to" from the server.

I still need to figure out how to transcode with casting.  Maybe Luke has ideas on how this works or if there are instructions for such a thing.

Music100
On 2/10/2024 at 11:41 PM, Luke said:

Out of the box the default profile should cause hevc to get transcoded, so we'll have to look at a specific example:

Thanks.

Appreciated.  I'll try one other setup with a different emby server to narrow down the problem.

• Thanks 1