Music - Meta Tagging

strugglez

strugglez

Yes it will. Wmp kindly over wrote all my 400x400 folder images with 200x200 folder images. You will need to disable wmp generating album art so yours don't get overwritten.

Under options> Library uncheck Retrieve additional information from the internet. I think that is the fix from memory.

I have found that disabling that doesn't stop WMP doing it again. The only fix I have come across is to manually replace the folder.jpg ONCE WMP has done it's process. So if you were to remove your library again, and build it new again, just bare in mind, it will start creating the 200x200 images again and replacing them. Huge hassle, I know. :(

DGMayor

Just tested your file i put it in a folder called test/unknown/unknown/waterloo.mp3 an the embedded image was ignored in favour of a png downloaded from last.fm

@@Luke is the default now download rather than extract?

I'm came here due to this.  I have 500+ GB of music.  I've spent many many hours/days/weeks/months tagging my files (And I'm redoing it all again with Musicbrainz Picard app in my "spare time"), and 99% of my files have album covers embedded.  So to find so many albums in MB3 that don't have album art is killing me, and refreshing doesn't pull it.  I thought it would extract, but I guess that changed.

Edited by DGMayor
  • Like 1

steve1977

I am in a similar situation to you and also a heavy Picard user (I believ there are quite a few of us). There are three feature requests required to further improve music for us. Would be great if you can vote for music-related changes in the following threads:

1A) Add Musicbrainz directly from MP3tag (release group and release ID)

1B) Add original album release date and year from musbrainz (rather than some random release date from last.fm)

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1527-music-use-original-release-date-from-musicbrainz/

2) Add audiodb for artist and album art (to limit muscbrainz for some key things as above)

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1528-music-use-theaudiodbcom-as-additional-source-for-music/

3) Do not include tags from last.fm (or only optional)

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1530-do-not-include-tags-for-movies-and-music-or-have-it-optional/

4) Extract albumart from MP3 is actually supposed to be working (but does not work for me). This thread is dealing with this bug report

strugglez

Btw - I have tested this and hasn't given me problems yet, but for anyone that wants WMP to NOT re-create your folder.jpg cover art files down to 200x200 files this solved it for me.

Go to regedit then browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences

Create two new DWORD entries

LargeAlbumArtSize
SmallAlbumArtSize

Give them the value of:  ffffffff  and then reboot. Let me know how you go for anyone that needed it.

Am I just being naive or couldn't you also just not use wmp. It's so out of date i"m not sure why you'd want to at this point anyway.

strugglez

Well, I don't know if you are aware, but I will report it now for you guys, but when you use MB3 as the music library, in terms of using WMC as the player, I believe WMP is directly incorporated with WMC's database. I have found that when I have played music via MB3 it is secretly chugging away at my music collection and recreating the 200x200 folder.jpg's. When music is playing through WMC, it displays the album art through WMP's database, So it kinda is vital to have WMP up to date with the library.

Hope that makes sense.

ginjaninja

I'm came here due to this.  I have 500+ GB of music.  I've spent many many hours/days/weeks/months tagging my files (And I'm redoing it all again with Musicbrainz Picard app in my "spare time"), and 99% of my files have album covers embedded.  So to find so many albums in MB3 that don't have album art is killing me, and refreshing doesn't pull it.  I thought it would extract, but I guess that changed.

Ive been there with Picard on 70000 tracks :-)

FWIW; I store a folder.jpg in the album folder (not embedded) and and i use strugglez regedit advice (along with  forceonline 0) (including xbox registry) to prevent conversion to 200x200 dpi and other artwork detritus appearing. I configure MB3 to store metadata inside collection. For this paradigm MB3 has no problem assigning an album image (no reliance on any lookup\matching at all); even though my tags are 100% perfect.

Other benefits include, explorer has image data along with WMP, and reduced filesize (every file doesnt have an image)

I did have a problem with MB3 overwriting folder.jpgs with folder.pngs from lastfm a few weeks ago, but i believe this issue is fixed.

Well, I don't know if you are aware, but I will report it now for you guys, but when you use MB3 as the music library, in terms of using WMC as the player, I believe WMP is directly incorporated with WMC's database. I have found that when I have played music via MB3 it is secretly chugging away at my music collection and recreating the 200x200 folder.jpg's. When music is playing through WMC, it displays the album art through WMP's database, So it kinda is vital to have WMP up to date with the library.

Hope that makes sense.

,I dont think its Mb3 creating 200x200 jpgs in this instance, its more likely to be the xbox registry hasnt had the fix applied you state above (along with forceonline=0) for wmp - are you an xbox user?

WMC'now playing'  artwork eg.  after launching through MB3 has never been reliable (not an mb3 issue as same applies when launching natively). I dont think its about a database being up to date; I find it will work (show artwork) for an album and stop working for the same album 1 min later..it just seems flakey.

I never go anywhere near native wmc for music (i use mb3 to browse/launch); if i knew how to disable the automatic library population i would, i wish wmc had no knowledge of the WMP library so for one it wasn't necessary to input reg fixes to stop it corrupting my metadata when using xbox. WMC music is very slow on large collections and unusable, it just gets in the way.

Edited by ginjaninja

steve1977

FWIW; I store a folder.jpg in the album folder (not embedded) and and i use strugglez regedit advice (along with  forceonline 0) (including xbox registry) to prevent conversion to 200x200 dpi and other artwork detritus appearing. I configure MB3 to store metadata inside collection. For this paradigm MB3 has no problem assigning an album image (no reliance on any lookup\matching at all); even though my tags are 100% perfect.

Looks like we are in the same situation. I have so far not asked Picard to store folder.jpg. I could enable this feature and just rerun Picard. Will take a while, but should work.

How do you deal with the situation that MBS puts a "wrong" year to your albums (i.e., the release year, which may be decades after the date of the original release)? Or just never sort by year?

strugglez

,I dont think its Mb3 creating 200x200 jpgs in this instance, its more likely to be the xbox registry hasnt had the fix applied you state above (along with forceonline=0) for wmp - are you an xbox user?

WMC'now playing'  artwork eg.  after launching through MB3 has never been reliable (not an mb3 issue as same applies when launching natively). I dont think its about a database being up to date; I find it will work (show artwork) for an album and stop working for the same album 1 min later..it just seems flakey.

I never go anywhere near native wmc for music (i use mb3 to browse/launch); if i knew how to disable the automatic library population i would, i wish wmc had no knowledge of the WMP library so for one it wasn't necessary to input reg fixes to stop it corrupting my metadata when using xbox. WMC music is very slow on large collections and unusable, it just gets in the way.

i know it is nothing to do with MB3. I know it is definitely WMC/WMP that is recreating the 200x200 jpg's. Editing the Reg fixes that.

You may also be correct that the "now playing" album artwork might not be directly from that database that WMP builds... but, I will tell you now, I don't have that problem anymore, and I may also have another solution. The "now playing" album artwork may not be showing because it isn't embedded into that one particular file or the version/type of your metadata may not be read by WMP.

I tell you now, it was a long process for me as I have over 200 albums, and each one wasn't consistent. What I used to change the type of metedata was MP3Tag. I selected all my "mp3's" and resaved them as Version 2.3 and removed the other metadata versions (be sure to save them 1st before you remove the other versions as you may lose fields/data and that would be a bitch! - Be sure to ask around before doing your whole library, and if unsure, do small portions 1st to be reassured you are doing it correctly). Second of all, Once that is done, I did a complete windows search within my music folder for all extensions of ,p3 and mp3 in mediam size image view to see that every file has artwork embedded - (Best to check that 1st before you do anything else, as this could just be your issue with it not being embedded correctly).

Man I rant on don't I! ;)

swhitmore

Hey guys,

I spend some time with weekend cleaning up my music using Picard. I've embeded 500x500 art for all my music and disabled the 'download from the internet' option in WMP. Something is still replacing the MB3 primary images to 200x200 on a refresh of the MB3 server, even if I've already added 500x500 images. Is this the same issue you are all seeing?

Edited by swhitmore

sydlexius

Yes it will. Wmp kindly over wrote all my 400x400 folder images with 200x200 folder images. You will need to disable wmp generating album art so yours don't get overwritten.

Under options> Library uncheck Retrieve additional information from the internet. I think that is the fix from memory.

That method hasn't been 100% reliable for me.  Step 4 in this post kills albumart{}.jpg files dead:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/p/102122/545514.aspx

ginjaninja

How do you deal with the situation that MBS puts a "wrong" year to your albums (i.e., the release year, which may be decades after the date of the original release)? Or just never sort by year?

I dont deal with it, MB3 currently gets year from lastfm rather than musicbrainz (to reduce load) or internal; I think MB3 should prefer internal year tag to lastfm, this is what i would vote for.

. The "now playing" album artwork may not be showing because it isn't embedded into that one particular file or the version/type of your metadata may not be read by WMP.

I can well believe embedded artwork is [more] reliable for now playing artwork, i have never used embedded; FWIW I dont have a problem with mb3 resizing my  [non-embeded] artwork.

That method hasn't been 100% reliable for me.  Step 4 in this post kills albumart{}.jpg files dead:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/p/102122/545514.aspx

I agree, this is the registry key that prevents albumartsmall and albumartlarge files being created

Hey guys,

I spend some time with weekend cleaning up my music using Picard. I've embeded 500x500 art for all my music and disabled the 'download from the internet' option in WMP. Something is still replacing the MB3 primary images to 200x200 on a refresh of the MB3 server, even if I've already added 500x500 images. Is this the same issue you are all seeing?

So all images embeded or otherwise on your file system are 500x500 but MB3 has 200x200,,,even after a removal from library/refresh? I dont see this symptom, but as i said i also dont use embedded artwork (in case thats relevant)

• Like 1