v4.8 update does not honor the forced pin entry when changing users!!!

Checkoutside

Checkoutside

Again we have this issue pop up, now on the v4.8 update! Glad the v4.8 is out BUT, like last year, it is NOT honoring the forced pin entry when switching users. I checked mine, and the user with the pin in the server settings the pin was gone after updating, so I re-entered it, with no change. You can go from user to user without the need to enter the pin for a user with a pin. I am on WD PR2100 v4.8 server and checked on GoogleTV (Android) Version 2.0.98g Registered. We had this same "bug" last year after a Android app update that forced them to issue a changed Android app. I did check if a new app was available and it is not.

Checkoutside

Sorry, but I do not know what you mean by "use the standard app"? I thought I was using the standard app.

Checkoutside

Sorry, when I get to that page which am I dloading? I see 4 things for an apk and two links - 1 for amazon and 1 for google. This is going on a tv!

Checkoutside

So, I just checked on my Android phone and it seems to work, BUT only if I also enter a password. Then later it correctly asks for the pin. This is very bad on the TV app for this to happen, especially since it has happened before.

Guest CodeCat5
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You can use the standard app to get the new PIN functionality or you can check the box in the Android TV app to always require password.

If you're going to recommend the standard app then you might want to add a disclaimer about how insecure account switching is with it. The PIN feature might as well not be there in the first place when you're able to completely close out the app, then launch it a day later and still login with no PIN required.

Edited by CodeCat5

Checkoutside

Thing is it seems to work on my phone with app v 3.3.56. BUT, I had to enter a password in the user profile AND a pin. 1st time it asked for the password, and then asked about using the pin in the future. I said yes and after that it seems to work, correctly asking for the pin only when I change to that user!

Checkoutside

I tried installing the Google Play one on the TV and it shows as "incompatible with this device".

3 hours ago, Checkoutside said:

I tried installing the Google Play one on the TV and it shows as "incompatible with this device".

How exactly did you try to install it? 

Checkoutside
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

How exactly did you try to install it? 

By following the link and selecting the Google Play option. It gave me a choice of devices to install on, and the only one compatible was the phone. If you know a different way or link to an installable apk or ? I am willing to try. This is going on a TV.

Checkoutside

Yes that does work although after being used to the "normal Android TV app" this one is a bit clunky but does work. This one does not even have a settings area!

So what it does is if you have a password and pin set, when changing to that user it first asks for the password, then asks if you want to use the pin when returning to this device (I answered "yes", then whenever you switch to that user it asks for the pin, like it should.

Truthfully, I do not see what was wrong with how it worked before, using only the pin which then was asked for each time switching to that user.

Now, the question becomes, what do you do moving forward? This needs to be fixed for everyone. If you want to have all use this "older/clunkier" app, it needs to be polished up a bit. More importantly, it needs to be put out IN PLACE of the other one. It needs to be the one Google Play Store and Amazon install to clients. Not everyone will be able to install this easily as it is now. 

Ball is in your court!

8 hours ago, Checkoutside said:

Yes that does work although after being used to the "normal Android TV app" this one is a bit clunky but does work. This one does not even have a settings area!

So what it does is if you have a password and pin set, when changing to that user it first asks for the password, then asks if you want to use the pin when returning to this device (I answered "yes", then whenever you switch to that user it asks for the pin, like it should.

Truthfully, I do not see what was wrong with how it worked before, using only the pin which then was asked for each time switching to that user.

Now, the question becomes, what do you do moving forward? This needs to be fixed for everyone. If you want to have all use this "older/clunkier" app, it needs to be polished up a bit. More importantly, it needs to be put out IN PLACE of the other one. It needs to be the one Google Play Store and Amazon install to clients. Not everyone will be able to install this easily as it is now. 

Ball is in your court!

Hi, why do you think it's clunky? And why do you think it doesn't  have settings? (It does).

Checkoutside

Well, now I just feel stupid! I do not really know how I missed the settings area when I looked the first time. Thanks for telling me it is there.

So the 2 things I notice on a quick viewing is that when viewing photos, where on the original app going from pic to pic is right away. For some reason, in this app there is a roughly 2 second black screen between pics. Right now I have both of the apps on my TV so I can go back and forth to check things out.

2nd - when exiting the Emby on this app, using the back button, it takes an extra button press to get out. It actually shows a side menu that is not there otherwise before exiting.

Neither of these are deal breakers as long as nothing else is messed up.

So as it stands if those things could be looked at I would say this app version could replace the the TV would normally install because the password/pin is working!

Also, I just realized we are in the Android section and this is really more of an Android Tv issue, so if you can and would like to you can move this thread there.

Let me know if you are thinking to put this as the app replacement so I can then update the other TVs in the house. And by the way, thanks a bunch for all your efforts!

• Thanks 1

Great, thanks for the feedback. We’ll look at these.

LjMcSeeYouInHell

Is the Android TV app being made redundant? Please say it ain't so!! There are a few niggles I have in Australia with Live TV on the standard Android app.

Also, the homescreen images are noticeably blurrier than on the Android TV app (running both latest stable versions).

Further, that new PIN entry screen is useless as my kids now know my PIN because they just watched the cursor on the numbers lol.

Cheers guys

3 minutes ago, LjMcSeeYouInHell said:

Is the Android TV app being made redundant? Please say it ain't so!! There are a few niggles I have in Australia with Live TV on the standard Android app.

Also, the homescreen images are noticeably blurrier than on the Android TV app (running both latest stable versions).

Further, that new PIN entry screen is useless as my kids now know my PIN because they just watched the cursor on the numbers lol.

Cheers guys

Hi, can you please show an example of what you see as blurry? Thanks.

LjMcSeeYouInHell
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please show an example of what you see as blurry? Thanks.

Best I could do, AndroidTV is more detailed. I'll open another post to fix the TV related stuff after the heat from this Server update blows over (issues have been there a while now)

AndroidTV_Vs_Android_EMBY.jpg

Checkoutside

After using the Standard app for a few days,  I am also seeing video stuttering. I am already using the standard Android app. I also still have the other Android app installed, and on that one there is no freezing-stuttering when viewing the same videos. I have not narrowed it down but it is happening on h265 videos. I also tried the same videos on Jellyfin and they worked with no issue.

Standard app v 3.3.65

Android Tv app v 2.0.98g registered

3 hours ago, LjMcSeeYouInHell said:

Best I could do, AndroidTV is more detailed. I'll open another post to fix the TV related stuff after the heat from this Server update blows over (issues have been there a while now)

AndroidTV_Vs_Android_EMBY.jpg

Can you show the complete screenshot for context? Thanks.

LjMcSeeYouInHell
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you show the complete screenshot for context? Thanks.

It's a close up of a thumbnail on the 'continue watching' list on home screen.

Checkoutside

I thought I would just come here to say that today, after updating the server version to 4.8.1, and loading the beta version 2.1.01 of the Android TV app on my Sony TV, AND clearing the data and cache for that app (important!!!) the pin login works like the "standard" android app. What I had done previous was I made the password and the pin for this user the same 4 digit number. When I start the Emby 2.1.01 app (AFTER clearing data and cache in the settings for that app), If I try to log into that pinned user it asks fo0r the password, after entering it then asks if the pin should be asked for in the future, I reply yes. Then, anytime I enter Emby or try to switch users, it asks for the pin. Yes, if someone is watching you close they can see what numbers you are selecting, but if you are doing that in front of other people, well that is just wrong anyway. I think this way works very nicely!

I am also going to put this in the Android TV section!