Is it possible to add an independent music library?

nullboy

nullboy

My current usage scenario is as follows:

• I put FLAC format music in one music library and DSF format music in another music library.
  • Since I have both FLAC and DSF versions of the same album, this leads to songs in both formats being displayed in the same album, resulting in data duplication.

3.thumb.png.eabc380426f1996ddf16fd39ab82438e.png

When creating a music library, is it possible to add an option to indicate that this library is independent and not aggregated with other music libraries?

Here is a more detailed explanation of my request:

• I would like to be able to keep these two formats separate in my music library.
  • The reason for this is that I want to be able to easily browse and play my music by format.
  • Currently, if I add both FLAC and DSF files to the same music library, they are all displayed together in a single list.
  • DSF format is used by DLNA for third-party players.This makes it difficult to find the specific songs I want to listen to.
  • If there was an option to create an independent music library, I could then add my FLAC and DSF files to separate libraries.
  • This would allow me to easily browse and play my music by format.

By the way, I hope the Emby Android will support Android 14 USB lossless audio.

• Agree 1

darkassassin07

I've found this library merging mechanic to be really annoying.

I've got two music libraries: one that's just files tossed into a folder as-received. Another is actually managed by Lidarr, sorted and tagged neatly.

I can't give a user access to both or everything combines together doubling tracks up like above.

If I wanted the libraries merged, I'd have monitored both folders with one library...

This is a big part of why I don't actually use emby for music, it's just a host I can download from.

Edited by darkassassin07

Hi, this is something we plan to review in future updates. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

jlambie

I also notice this time to time with my library - I have 2 separate music libraries: one for 'standard' CD or lossy versions of files (either in FLAC or AAC) , and another for different versions of the same albums (some might be in WAV, some in Wavpack & some in FLAC). What I've noticed is that neither library 'contaminates' the other if I ensure the 'non-standard' versions are consistently tagged with the appropriate suffix (e.g. '2024 Remaster' or such). I've found so far that seems usually to work - and actually, I've noticed in some cases I have 2 separate versions in the same 'standard' versions library (i.e.a vinyl rip and CD reissue of the same album) and even though they're in the same library, they are displayed as 2 separate entities in my display, so I guess the separate libraries thing may not matter. 

Bottom line - I had to manually and carefully tag these as separate versions - maybe this might work for you?

darkassassin07

Putting the files in two seprate folders monitored by Independent libraries should be enough. You shouldn't have to meticulously modify/tag each individual file (potentially thousands of files) to stop them mixing together in an obviously undesired way.

• Agree 1