Emby for Android TV on ChromeOS (Asus Chromebox 3) - HEVC Transcoding

WarEmby

WarEmby

Hello, I’m trying to setup my ASUS Chromebox 3 connected to TV and paired with remote control to serve as the main media player using Emby. I have tried Emby Web; Emby Theater for Linux; Emby for Android; and Emby for Android TV. The best user experience, in terms of using the remote control and the feeling, is delivered by Android TV version. All would be fine, but HEVC (likely also MPEG4) videos are getting transcoded to AVC when using Android TV version. I experience the same with Web version on Chrome. Linux/Android versions are direct playing HEVC videos with no issues. Is this expected behavior or is there something I may have missed to solve the problem? If needed, I can do some further testing and post server log.

Thank you
Josef

Hi.  It will just depend on exactly what codecs are supported within Android on that box.  The app queries the device and transcodes only when necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
WarEmby

Thank you both for the feedback and sorry for the delay in my response.

I agree with ebr and thus was expecting the same playback capabilities across all the clients on the same box. Nevertheless, on the server side I see a direct play for HEVC under standard Android app and HEVC transcoding to AVC under Android for TV app. This also answers the question Luke has raised.

To benefit from the HEVC direct play, I gave a chance to the standard Android version and after some familiarization became almost happy with it. The issue I have is when playing some movies with AC3/AAC 5.1 audio because I do not get the center sound on the TV. With Android for TV app is the audio playing just fine. I haven’t had a chance to debug this yet. On the other hand, I appreciate seeing play/pause/rewind remote control buttons working under standard Android app which is not the case under Android for TV app.

Any hint on how to solve the surround playback issue is welcome.

Thanks

Josef

17 hours ago, WarEmby said:

which is not the case under Android for TV app.

Glad you are happy with the other app but those buttons are supported in the TV app as well.