Would this be able to encode and be a good media server?

Ukst0ner

Hi, would what exactly? Can you please spell it out for those who don't want to click mysterious links?

Ukst0ner
  • Like would it be a good server for emby and would it encode anything via graphics 

1 minute ago, Ukst0ner said:
  • Like would it be a good server for emby and would it encode anything via graphics 

Would what be good?

Ukst0ner

run well for around 20 users max fingers crossed that would handle a couple of encodings if needed.

RanmaCanada

No it would be horrible as AMD's hardware encoding is garbage.  It requires considerable more bitrate than Intel does to achieve the same visual quality.  You want anything intel based.  11th-14th gen.  The newer the generation, the better.  For example, to get a VMAF score of 92 with H264, AMD requires a birate of 5600 where as Intel 12th gen requires 2700.  The less bitrate used, the better as it means you can have more concurrent streams if your bandwidth is limited.  If you're going to buy from Aliexpress, I would suggest something like this instead.  The 1340P will be more than powerful enough to handle up to 20 users (20 concurrent encodes would require media to be stored on an NVME ssd though due to data transfer speeds).

Ukst0ner

Thanks for that will look into intel

I was going to get a disk enclosed, I would just plug that into the USB hoping for 4 x 16tb drives would you be able to give me and idea of what I need to look at, please?

Thanks loads for the help

RanmaCanada

@Ukst0nerI did actually link a machine in my original comment.  You would need to get ram and an nvme drive for the OS.  As for your choice of a USB enclosure, that's not a great idea as they do drop out.  You would be better off to get a NAS, network attatched storage, instead.

Ukst0ner

Yer i have seen the link mate that's what I'm going to get the i9 one without ram or storage. Thanks of that...

With a nas could I build one could you start me off with what sort of case would hold the drives and stuff or would a pre-built one be better