Direct play of HEVC video no longer works

Qlan
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Qlan

Hello team,

First of all thanks again for an incredible product, been using it for years and always recommend it to others when possible.

Playback of HEVC files has worked perfectly on the Apple TV since the MPV player was implemented into the app.
Now however since a few weeks back this has stopped working, and it is the same on multiple devices so I suspect perhaps apple has changed something?

When checking the logs in the server I can see the following:
"2024-01-30 18:53:08.268 Info App: Profile: VideoCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Unnamed.Width Condition: LessThanEqual. ConditionValue: 1280. IsRequired: True."
"&TranscodeReasons=VideoResolutionNotSupported"

It sounds like the Emby app is unable to provide the resolution of the TV to the server?

Video format:
Resolution 1920x1080
Container: MKV
Format: HEVC

I did find this forum post from a few years back with the same issue but it is for a Chromecast

Thank you for any support you may be able to provide!

TheGru

Same transcoding for a remote user of mine watching MP4 HEVC and AAC audio. It’s transcoding due to video resolution and while the video is playing there is now no audio. Everything worked previously in november.

TheGru

I’ve got my user doing some playback tests now and am capturing logs. As soon as I am home I will post. 

thanks!

TheGru

@LukeHere are attached logs. Issues exactly like OP posted.

I got my user to try and play back a few different videos around 11:41am Eastern time today. I will send you transcode logs I got via Diagnostics directly if you need them as they have my server details in them.

My user was seeing picture, but had no audio.

Server side showed Transcoding due to video resolution.
Files in question as all MP4 in h265 with AAC audio. 

All files play fine on my Fire Sticks, Google TV, Shield and iPhone

By comparison he had no issues playing some music concerts which are in MKV. 

I tried rolling back a few builds from .80 to .74 and it did not help. 

I know his setup worked with mine back in November as I was there for thanksgiving and we watched plenty of stuff. I attempted to roll back to .60 but then server wouldn't start so I couldn't test further.

Anyway I am running on Unraid in Docker if it matters.

embyserver.txt

vdatanet
4 hours ago, TheGru said:

IMG_2159.jpeg

Can you post the transcoding log?

TheGru
14 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Can you post the transcoding log?

It’s got my host name in it. I rather not.

2 hours ago, TheGru said:

It’s got my host name in it. I rather not.

Can you just edit and then post it?

DamendOne

I beleive I may be having the same issue as stated here...

Rescently I have been having some issues when playing video files on my Apple TV devices. All files are 1080p and either H.264 or HEVC/x265 (all MKV)

• HEVC/x265 : are always transcoded. No Direct Play. When they are transcoded, I experience all sorts of issues with stuttering, audio sync, audio loops; as though the transcoding is not keeping up. The trying to adjust the quality, interestingly, there is only a maximum of 720p 10Mbs. No matter what option I select for 720p (1Mbs to 10Mbs) the stuttering and audio issues persist.
  • H.264 : Always transcode the bit rate down to 3 or 4 Mbs.  If I manually set the quality to match the file as seen in “Stats for Nerds”, they direct play fine. Usually this is 1080p 8Mbs. There is never any stuttering etc with these files.
  • The same files play fine on the same network as the Apple TV clients, on a Windows 11 laptop without issue. No Transcoding, no playback issues.

My Emby Server is at one location, I am at another. I have a 1Gbe connection between the locations. This is a private link, not traversing the public internet. There is a reverse poxy (NGINX) in front of the Emby Server. All testing was with just one Apple TV playing a video, no other active clients.

The Emby Server is running Windows 10, Emby Server (4.8.0.80), i7-8700 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVME SSD storage for Emby components. No Discrete GPU.

There are no limits set in the Network Configuration on the Emby Server.

The Apple TV Client is version 1.8.1 (1), Internet Video Quality set to Auto. One odd issue here is that the Internet Quality manual settings list does not scroll, so you cannot see any further down than 1080p 25Mbs.

Transcode log [redacted] is attached when playing an HEVC file.

Thanks.

ffmpeg-transcode-38169817-3df8-4fee-9431-2e35c59e6689_1.txt

25 minutes ago, DamendOne said:

I beleive I may be having the same issue as stated here...

Rescently I have been having some issues when playing video files on my Apple TV devices. All files are 1080p and either H.264 or HEVC/x265 (all MKV)

• HEVC/x265 : are always transcoded. No Direct Play. When they are transcoded, I experience all sorts of issues with stuttering, audio sync, audio loops; as though the transcoding is not keeping up. The trying to adjust the quality, interestingly, there is only a maximum of 720p 10Mbs. No matter what option I select for 720p (1Mbs to 10Mbs) the stuttering and audio issues persist.
  • H.264 : Always transcode the bit rate down to 3 or 4 Mbs.  If I manually set the quality to match the file as seen in “Stats for Nerds”, they direct play fine. Usually this is 1080p 8Mbs. There is never any stuttering etc with these files.
  • The same files play fine on the same network as the Apple TV clients, on a Windows 11 laptop without issue. No Transcoding, no playback issues.

My Emby Server is at one location, I am at another. I have a 1Gbe connection between the locations. This is a private link, not traversing the public internet. There is a reverse poxy (NGINX) in front of the Emby Server. All testing was with just one Apple TV playing a video, no other active clients.

The Emby Server is running Windows 10, Emby Server (4.8.0.80), i7-8700 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVME SSD storage for Emby components. No Discrete GPU.

There are no limits set in the Network Configuration on the Emby Server.

The Apple TV Client is version 1.8.1 (1), Internet Video Quality set to Auto. One odd issue here is that the Internet Quality manual settings list does not scroll, so you cannot see any further down than 1080p 25Mbs.

Transcode log [redacted] is attached when playing an HEVC file.

Thanks.

ffmpeg-transcode-38169817-3df8-4fee-9431-2e35c59e6689_1.txt 73.88 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, what model apple tv?

Kahunas

I too have had an issue with playback of H265 on Apple TV 4K. No video, audio ok. Mucked about with settings on the client, player was set to "Auto", changed to "Native" and all is now good again, worked on all three of my ATVs. Apologies if this is not relevant to the above, I am no expert, but may be a simple fix for some, like me who come across this thread.

New convert to Emby, love it!!

Cheers

DamendOne

@kahuhas, thanks for the tip. I can report that using the native player stops all the stuttering and audio loops. However, if the quality is set to "Auto" during playback, it is still transcoding down to 720p 3-4Mbs. I can still turn this up to 1080p and the higher bit rate manually. 

DamendOne

FYI, this work around, using the Native player, now has it's own issues. It appears since the last updates to Emby Server 4.8.1.0 (Windows) and Apple TV (1.8.2 (1)), when I go to play an HEVC file, it takes around 1 min 20 seconds to start playing, then in it will pause for approximatly the same amount of time around every 10 mins during play back. 

Attached is a transcode log using the Native Player.

ffmpeg-transcode-10719b5b-d694-4270-adbe-bf0d2e9c3286_1.txt

vdatanet

It seems that your server does not have enough power to transcode.

15 hours ago, DamendOne said:

FYI, this work around, using the Native player, now has it's own issues. It appears since the last updates to Emby Server 4.8.1.0 (Windows) and Apple TV (1.8.2 (1)), when I go to play an HEVC file, it takes around 1 min 20 seconds to start playing, then in it will pause for approximatly the same amount of time around every 10 mins during play back. 

Attached is a transcode log using the Native Player.

ffmpeg-transcode-10719b5b-d694-4270-adbe-bf0d2e9c3286_1.txt 1.59 MB · 1 download

@DamendOneif you look at your transcoding log you'll notice you're only getting about 21 fps, which is not fast enough to be playable, so vdatanet is right. Ideally, you'll want to focus on maximizing direct play.

Qlan

That's just the thing. Direct play has been working perfectly for years now. But since a few weeks back something changed, likely something changed by apple. It looks like the server is not receiving the correct resolution from the Apple TV Emby client and is then forced to transcode. I performed a new test today with 4.8.1.0 and it is still the same, logs are attached.

It's not the same app, but for your information direct play is still working on the iPhone Emby app.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-6a1fa779-0737-4216-99d3-c9c1338c4232_1.txt

DamendOne

Exactly. Direct play had always worked in the past. And using the web browser on the same network, works fine for direct play. It is just the apple tv client that seems to have an issue.

DamendOne

FYI, just tested the Emby App on Android on the same network. This too direct plays the same HEVC files that are being transcoded for the Apple TV.

jaycedk

I have noticed this as well.

And this is only happening with 2 remote Apple tv.

This was not an issue with 4.7.

DamendOne

Noticed that the Apple TV client has had an update to 1.8.3 (1) (previously 1.8.2). No changes however to this issue, that I can see.

delorien802

Same problem playing HEVC direct play here in ATV 2022, Emby version 1.8.3 (1). I cannot direct play like 90% of my library. 😅. Hope that will be fixed soon