I hate this damned TV. Every problem you could possibly have.

marriedman

marriedman

I think this stupid TV is possessed. I have posted before about some issues the LG app has given me, but I always think I have solved it by trying workarounds. I am having content not found errors one day, halting or stuttering playback the next. This evenings issues is that I can only playback about 4 seconds and halting for about 30 seconds. 

I can literally playback anything on any other device. I can play the same file, signed in as the same user, while sitting in the same room, the same distance from the server and router. The only device that has an issue is this stupid LG 75NANO91ANA. I enabled deugging and rebooted the server then tried to play an episode of something and let it not work for a bit to make sure I captured a decent log file.

I now have a question on what the developers use in their living rooms. Sony TV? Nvidia Shield? Custom build PC? I want something that will stop giving me headaches! 

embyserver_2024-01-30-102726PM.txt

SamES

Are you using wifi?  If so, what band and channel?  I've experienced some weird performance issues on certain wifi channels on LG TV's

marriedman

Yeah, I have a Netgear Orbi RBK850. It's not a cheap POS, it's a really expensive POS. I went from a really old but rock steady Linksys running OpenWRT to this Fishcher-Price UI "smart" router. There is no manual QoS and a firmware can literally cripple your entire network. I've tried changing the channels for the router and satellite, the radio power output so that it connects to the main router, and everything else that the Netgear "Support" said to do. Right now, I just have hooked up my old Vero4K+/Kodi/EmbyCon and things are working as they should, but I lose the Magic Remote and the native Emby UI.

I just bought 2 network switches last week and I am waiting on an installer to come do the impressive stuff like fishing it up two stories and making pretty wall outlets. He's a friend, so I have to work on his schedule.

I want to make sure that everyone knows that I in no way blame the developers of the App. LG dissatisfaction is growing and their app review process is famous for being slow.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Just as a note, on my LG OLED TV, I had to explicitly turn off Wifi in settings to disable it - I assumed by plugging in an Ethernet cable it would automatically disable it, but it doesn't.

Also remember the connection will only be 100 Mbit/sec - so don't go hunting for 1000Mbit/sec, because the majority of high end TV's still only use 100Mbit for Ethernet .. 🙄

The best thing I ever did, was abandon my LG TV to actually play media on the device itself - brilliant picture, but as a media playback device it's poor (unless it's now been updated, it couldn't even play Dolby Vision using MKV containers..) - I just purchase an Nvidia Shield Pro (connected at 1000Mbit/sec) and have not looked back  .. although I did miss the magic remote .. that was pretty cool.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

marriedman

Oh man @rbjtech, you hit the nail on the head. I was shocked how odd, and quite frankly dumb, some of the hardware limitations are designed in this TV.  While I am not happy about the 100Mbit Fast Ethernet instead of Gigabit, nothing that I currently have is encoded higher than 10mbps. I won't be saturating anything! 

You're sentiments pretty much mirror my own. I spent too much money on this TV in 2021 to go out and buy another. So I am probably going to regulate it to a dumb monitor. I was eye balling a Shield, but they are 4 years old and there will not be another one made. So the ones out there are pricey. 

I would be curious if there was a section of the forum that discusses which "smart" tv's people found best in terms of display, native codec support, and hardware. I know it will be an Android based TV which will me spying Google crap and advertising shoved down our throats though.

rbjtech

If your highest bitrate media is only 10Mbit/sec - then tbh, the LG 'should' be absolutely fine.   I was after +100Mbit/sec with DV - so that's why I went the Shield route.    I have remote users using LG TV's via Wifi - playing 20-30Mbit remotely - with no reported issues.

I'm sure you've done this already, but I would go back to basics and  maybe piggy back the Linksys off the new router (so you don't disrupt everything) and setup a 2nd AP on the Linksys and connect the LG to that.  If the issues go away, then you know the issue is primarily with the Orbi and/or combination with the LG.

Also - On the orbi - if possible, try creating a seperate dedicated 2.4Ghz channel (only) - less speed, but greater signal strength.

marriedman

Can't use the old router, I gave it to my mother in law and she loves having internet in her kitchen now! 

I try out the dedicated 2.4Ghz channel and test it for a while.

marriedman

lol, this is rich. The RBK850 (all the Orbi AX systems actually) cannot have different SSID for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I can create an IoT SSID, but that network will not be able to see anything on my primary network like SMB shares or emby server. This mesh router/satelite system cost $700 when new and it can't do something basic that an antique WRT54G can.

I tell ya, this is a huge lesson for me. One can never make assumptions. We bought this house right in the beginning COVID madness and I wanted to have a turn-key setup. Something that was so simple, my wife and kids could handle it. My TV got the highest ratings for it beautiful display and I assumed that the apps would be just as good as the Sony since LG is so big. The Orbi was touted as the fastest and greatest wifi set at the time. I assumed I would be able to do basic things like control QoS and separating bands. 

*Sigh* This was literally the second time I have ever bought the alleged latest and greatest gadget or felt like an early adopter.  The first time was my Sega Dreamcast in 1999! I can honestly say I will not do this again. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:16 AM, marriedman said:

I try out the dedicated 2.4Ghz channel and test it for a while.

Hi, has this helped?

marriedman
On 2/1/2024 at 11:24 AM, marriedman said:

lol, this is rich. The RBK850 (all the Orbi AX systems actually) cannot have different SSID for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I can create an IoT SSID, but that network will not be able to see anything on my primary network like SMB shares or emby server. This mesh router/satelite system cost $700 when new and it can't do something basic that an antique WRT54G can.

Hi @LukeNo joke, there is no optin for me to do that on my router.