PGS Extraction on the fly?

nodiaque

nodiaque

Hello,

I've checked under transcoding and there's a section saying EMBY can do extraction of the subtitles on the fly to prevent transcoding. I was wondering if something could be done so PGS are added to the extraction on the fly? On LG (and many other), PGS subs aren't supported and this trigger a burning, which trigger transcoding. So I though why not have them delivered with the extraction process instead and remove the transcoding?

Thank you!

Hi, these are images, so the extraction will produce larger output and take longer. I don't think this would be feasible to do on the fly.

Lambtalk
2 hours ago, nodiaque said:

Hello,

I've checked under transcoding and there's a section saying EMBY can do extraction of the subtitles on the fly to prevent transcoding. I was wondering if something could be done so PGS are added to the extraction on the fly? On LG (and many other), PGS subs aren't supported and this trigger a burning, which trigger transcoding. So I though why not have them delivered with the extraction process instead and remove the transcoding?

Thank you!

That doesn't do what you think it does. If your TV doesn't support PGS subs, then extracting the PGS subs from the video container isn't going to make them work.

The option exists as some players don't handle subtitles that are muxed into the video container well, but will happily handle it if the subtitle track is served alongside the video.

This will still cause transcoding in your case, as the problem is still that your TV doesn't support image based subtitles.

• Like 1