Cannot access Emby remotely

Spymaster

Spymaster

I'm having real problems accessing Emby remotely via my Android devices.  I've tried on and off for months now, with no success.

My set up is perhaps unusual.  I have a Sky broadband modem, which receives ultrafast broadband from my Sky provider, that is then channeled to a TP-Link Archer C7 router which I used for wi-fi around the house.  My Synology is connected to the Archer C7 via Ethernet.  Remove access to my Synology apps, via my Synology account, works perfectly.

UPnP is enabled.  All my accounts are set for external access.  And I've installed the Port Forwarding app on Emby.  But when I try and access via my Android phone, via my server (which it correctly identifies), is "Unable to reach [NAS] - We're unable to connect to the selected server right now.  Please ensure it is running and try again".

I'm assuming it's a port fowarding issue at my router end?

I've tried some settings in that NAT / Port Triggering section based on guidance printed elsewhere, but it doesn't make a scrap of difference...

• Application: Emby Server
  • Triggering port: 8096
  • Triggering protocol: TCP
  • External port: 80 (*) not sure if this is influenced by the Sky modem ahead of this router in the chain?
  • External protocol: TCP

In my Emby settings it states Remote (WAN) access: http://90.217.35.98:8096 but not sure how this relates to anything or if/where I should enter it.

I'm tearing my hair out.  What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!!

John

A32

Hi,

You should do the port forwarding in the port forwarding page of your router not the port triggering page. Port triggering is dynamic and used by applications (e.g. game consoles) to open ports as needed.

On a side note, security wise (a future project) try to look into the reverse proxy and set it up on your NAS in addition to the Firewall (to limit access to your country). I advise against enabling and using UPnP on the router.

Spymaster

Hi - thank you for your reply. I've searched my router and Googled quite a bit, and I don't think there is a separate page for forwarding vs triggering. Everything seems to point to this one page...?

A32

Checking the Archer manual, it's under chapter 13. "Share local resources on the internet by virtual servers"
https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202103/20210325/1910012976_Archer%20C7&A7_UG_REV5.2.0.pdf

See if you have something like that.