Playlist of playlists

beckfield

beckfield

I've tried searching several ways, but haven't found this.

I long ago created .m3u files for each of the works in my classical music library.  So there's an .m3u file for each symphony, or suite, or multi-movement work.  Emby found these and imported them perfectly, that's all good.

Now let's say I want to create a playlist containing several symphonies by various composers.  Currently I can add all the files for all the movements for all the symphonies to a playlist, and I can play them in order.  But if I want to randomly play this playlist, but keep each symphony together and in order, I can't do it.  In the current feature, random playback would randomly play individual movements.

Feature request:  I would like to be able to build a playlist by picking each symphony as a single piece (defined by an m3u file, or an existing playlist), so I can randomly play complete, intact symphonies, without randomizing the movements within each symphony.

Edited by beckfield

Hi, when you add something to a playlist it gets broken down to media at that point in time, therefore, while you can add one playlist to another, you're only getting the state of the playlist at that point in time and it won't automatically update.

beckfield

Yes, I get that.  I imagine this feature request would require a significant change in the way playlists are designed.  I still think it would be a great feature. 

If there's a simpler way to achieve the end goal (randomly playing complete, intact symphonies, without randomizing the movements within each symphony), without using playlists, I'm all for it.  This was simply how I envisioned that could be done.

It would be quite a change, yes. But you never know. I noticed when playing a playlist in Apple Music if you then edit the playlist while playing it auto updates the play queue based on that. So obviously they have some sort of list within a list there.