Feedback on these mini devices for playback client

TeamB

TeamB

NOT AS AN EMBY SERVER.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these little devices, mainly around using it as a playback client.

https://www.amazon.com/GMKtec-Windows-Computer-Business-G3-dp-B0CQ4XQ2WG/dp/B0CQ4XQ2WG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

or

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001566034308.html

it looks like they are both running the N100 cpu

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/231803/intel-processor-n100-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz/specifications.html

so the GPU look solid enough.

Anyway, anyone using one? have any pro/con lists?

all4dom

That's something I was thinking about. Should be able to play eveeything plus you can use a mouse keyboard for streaming apps so you stay basically on one device without switching back & fourth. If you do that please post an update on how emby theater is.

TeamB
27 minutes ago, all4dom said:

That's something I was thinking about. Should be able to play eveeything plus you can use a mouse keyboard for streaming apps so you stay basically on one device without switching back & fourth. If you do that please post an update on how emby theater is.

Yeah, it opens up a bunch of options.

My main client platform now is Raspberry Pi running Libreelec (Kodi) which works great, plays everything, is reasonably quick and stable.
However, getting a Raspberry Pi over the last few years has been a nightmare, it's getting better, and you can now source RPi4 in most places, the new Rpi5 is still very scarce and hard to source, plus Libreelec is great, but I want to try others options like Emby Theatre and others.

Also, the RPi is getting up there in cost and once you list all the components needed RPi, Power, Case, Cables it is actually more cost-effective to get one of these mico systems.

My main problem is time, like I said the RPi is so easy to set up and get running, I can rebuild a RPi client from scratch in about 5 minutes, from unboxing to playing media from my Emby Server. I get the feeling setting up and getting a new mico system like this up and running the way I want would be a much longer endeavor.

RanmaCanada

The N100 will be good enough for what you want.  It appears it should do 4k Netflix as well.  Just be aware that HDR/DolbyVision is still extremely problematic on PC, so much so that the HTPC sub on Reddit advises people to just buy either a Shield or an Apple TV if they want that 4k goodness.  And we won't get into the problems with sound when hooking up to a home theatre system.  If you're using a sound bar or your dinky tv speakers, it would be ok.  Anything higher end, and you will want to sledge hammer stuff.

• Thanks 1