Casting to google hub max video times out after 10mins

chathway

chathway

I recently switched from an alexa show 8 in my kitchen to a google hub max.  Unfortunately where I used to be unable to open silk on alexa show and open Emby Web app to play media without issue the google hub max only supports casting.  No problem though as my emby android app sees the hub max just fine and casts to it without issue.  We'll almost without issue; after 10mins of casting the video will stop playing and the hub max display will revert to its inbuilt photo slideshow.   The audio continues and the emby app on android still shows connected.  Emby server shows all connected too and streaming fine. Emby logs just show that streaming media, no indication of any issue. I have to disconnect the casting and reconnect, then get another 10mins.

Very simular issue raised for home assistant casting here: https://github.com/home-assistant/frontend/issues/5729

Youtube and BBC iplayer cast without issue to the hub max, I have casted youtune to it for few hours and its not been a issue.

Hello chathway,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, so you started playback all using our android app, not using any voice commands?

chathway

No voice commands, just selected cast from within the android emby app and choose the Google hub max as the target.

Forgot to also mention that Emby server is running in docker container on synology NAS (DSM os and Emby latest version)

Container on host network, same network subnet the Google hub max on.  

visproduction

On the max, is there a display setting - Turn screen off after some minutes when the room goes dark?  Or other screensaver?

chathway

There is a display timeout setting after 5mins of inactivity but I have that disabled. 

Screenshot_20240127_170201_Home.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
chathway

Another app that doesn't have a problem casting to the Google Hub max is Smooth radio app.  This app streams various radio stations from smooth radio UK.  It doesn't play video but does show information about what's playing and the presenter.

Had it casting for a few hours this week and the Google Hub Max screen always stayed on the casted content.

There must be something these apps are doing that Emby isn't when casting.

Link to smooth app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thisisaim.smoothradio

chathway

Thanks @Luke, Logs attached.

The times to look at for when I tested are:

• started casting: 15:56 (Live tv channel - ITV HD)
  • Hub Max screen went to photo slide show: 16:06 (audio continued to play)
  • Stopped casting: 16:08

You will also see in the logs at 15:20 another google casting session.  This one was initiated from my Emby Android  app to my Nvidia Shield TV.  This casted fine for around 30mins.  

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-6b954815-1378-47c3-9bcd-546f4f9ce02e_1.txt session to Hub MAX

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-6b954815-1378-47c3-9bcd-546f4f9ce02e_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...

@chathwayare you still having an issue with this? When I google this it seems like a lot of apps are impacted by this. I found the github thread that you linked to earlier.

The workarounds in that thread are also quite nasty - one restarting video every 9 minutes, another playing silent audio which throws off all of the remote controls. 

I don't really know what the sensible thing to do is. Can this device sideload android apps?

• 3 weeks later...
chathway

Hi Luke, no the device can't sideload apps. It only supports casting, there is a web browser that can support loading the Emby web view but it's very clunky.  You can't type a URL and saying "Emby" nearly always types "MB"! And if I do get to web view it won't remember credentials nor go full screen.

Home assistant which I run also seems to have sorted there casting issues.  I can cast dashboards to the Google hub max fine (even interact with the casting on screen).

I recently setup Plex to see how that did and again was fine casting live TV from hdhomerun source (tested for up to an hour).  

Seems like there is some secret sauce to fix however, considering very little interaction with my post from other Emby users maybe not much use case.  With that in mind would understand if from a developer time perspective there wasn't an appetite to investigate further.

visproduction

Casting to Hub Max may have Wifi connection issues.  If the media stream has a high bit rate you could be looking at dropped packets from router issues, hub-max internal TCP/IP  settings of how many out of order packets are allowed before dumping the cache and requesting the packet series again.  Wifi needs to be setup on a channel that has no other local traffic. 
Have a look here for more troubleshooting steps:  https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/common-google-nest-hub-problems-and-how-to-fix-them/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
SilverTongue1

I also have this experience with Emby only. Casting from iPhone 11 iOS 17.4.1 to a Google Nest Hub 1st generation. I can cast from all other apps (YouTube, hayu, Channel4, BBC iPlayer) without this timeout issue.

visproduction

I believe Youtube still uses automatic step down to lower bitrate and lower res copy when there are bandwidth issues.  I think they automatically upgrade popular videos to multi bitrate playback.  As I understand it, Emby can determine a preferred playback rate when there are multiple resolution copies of the same media determined at the initial playback start.  I notice that when I have 480P, 720P, 1080P versions, that mobile data connection seems to prefer a lower res choice with Emby.

I don't know the actual code inside either Emby or Youtube.  I believe that the approach to this issue is very different and could perhpas explain why you are getting stuttering with Emby which may have made it's choice of playback, or you don't even have a multiple resolution available on such media.  Youtube does have this available.  If this is true, it is understandable why there would be a difference.

Hope that makes sense.