A few questions about using my own images for genre, tag, art, etc?

F1nchy

F1nchy

Hi guys

I've been downloading a load of movie art to use for genre icons, but I can't work out what the best dimensions are for each of the options. I've been using 4:3 for the main genre icons (Primary), which seems pretty accurate, but can anyone tell me what sizes I should be using for logo, thumb, banner, disc and Art under the Edit Images option?

Also, are the same pictures/icons used for movie genres and the equivalent TV genre? ie the same one for Comedy movies and Comedy TV shows? If so, is there any way to have them different for TV and movies, or is it not possible?

I was about to start doing the same for TV Shows and realised it has all the movie ones! I was hoping to be able to set different ones for TV shows!

I'm mostly downloading wallpaper art or fanart from general free online sources and then just resizing them to the 4:3 - pretty happy with them so far in general.

Thanks

GrimReaper
29 minutes ago, F1nchy said:

can anyone tell me what sizes I should be using for logo, thumb, banner, disc and Art under the Edit Images option?

General guidance on dimensions. 

31 minutes ago, F1nchy said:

Also, are the same pictures/icons used for movie genres and the equivalent TV genre? ie the same one for Comedy movies and Comedy TV shows?

Yes. 

31 minutes ago, F1nchy said:

If so, is there any way to have them different for TV and movies, or is it not possible?

Not currently. Same goes for tags. 

Killface69
On 1/26/2024 at 7:07 PM, GrimReaper said:
On 1/26/2024 at 6:35 PM, F1nchy said:

If so, is there any way to have them different for TV and movies, or is it not possible?

Not currently. Same goes for tags. 

I can. I'm using the 16x9 thumb view for movies and the default 1x1 preview for TV shows.

image.thumb.png.4da5c870314b5ec1b596510c44acc591.png

image.thumb.png.3b6df01925f0599479b7c4fe81d0c969.png

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Killface69 said:

I can. I'm using the 16x9 thumb view for movies and the default 1x1 preview for TV shows.

You're using different image types/views, i.e. Primary vs. Thumbs. Genre images are lbrary/content-type agnostic and are shared across all libraries. Sure, you can assign different images to different images types, but you'd have to redo selection/preferred view for each user and on each client. But as a workaround sure, it's a viable one. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Killface69
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

You're using different image types/views, i.e. Primary vs. Thumbs. Genre images are lbrary/content-type agnostic and are shared across all libraries. Sure, you can assign different images to different images types, but you'd have to redo selection/preferred view for each user and on each client. 

I know, that's the downside. I'm using the 16/9 and 4/3 images availabe, with preview and thumb also being selectable on the Android TV client. It's the only way for I know of for separate images for TV and films.

• Like 1

F1nchy

That actually sounds like a decent workable idea for me, we only have a handful of devices to reconfigure so it shouldn't take me too long to change them all. That's great, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!

F1nchy

Ah, and what about best dimensions for images for each of logo, thumb, banner, disc and art? I'm presuming they're all intended to be different dimensions/aspects and depending on what each should be would have a bearing on which one I use for TV shows. 

Thanks again!

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, F1nchy said:

Ah, and what about best dimensions for images for each of logo, thumb, banner, disc and art?

On 1/26/2024 at 7:07 PM, GrimReaper said:

General guidance on dimensions. 

F1nchy

Perfect, thank you.... I didn't think to look on Kodi site for Emby stuff!

So which of those is primary the same as? Is that unique to Emby?

Edited by F1nchy

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, F1nchy said:

So which of those is primary the same as?

For Movies and TV shows, Primary-type image is generally poster, in 2:3 aspect ratio.