Dolby Digital / Atmos support on Apple TV

techbri

techbri

We use Apple TVs as our preferred devices ( have tried Shield and others) and I really prefer the Apple TV. I came to emby from the other platforms and have used Infuse with them in the past. I setup Infuse to work with Emby and I can play Atmos files that have the compressed lossy format. I understand the Apple TV only supports this version of atmos and not TrueHD. Would you please add support for lossy Atmos to the app so that we can play these files without needing to use Infuse? I would rather use the native app. I have seen a number of users request this from the "other platforms" and they have not gotten there. I expect this will bring a lot of new customers to Emby and sell Premiere subscriptions. If there is a licensing fee that Emby has to pay to enable this, I would also be willing to pay a one time enablement fee to add the feature to my server in addition to the premier subscription. Thanks.

• Agree 2

Hi, yes this is something that we hope to add in future updates to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
techbri
On 1/26/2024 at 7:18 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes this is something that we hope to add in future updates to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

Hi Luke. Circling back on this as I wonder if you have a method to poll on this feature request to determine the need and I also wonder if we might be able to sponsor this feature request. I for one, would be willing to prepay for the feature as there may be licensing costs involved.

• Thanks 1

techbri

In the meantime, I picked up a Chromecast 4k and it is able to play the the Atmos files I have without needing Infuse on the Apple TV. I tried the shield but I did not like that it wasn't getting updated. This will suffice for now until we can get Atmos playback on the Apple TV.