nvidia shield stuttering

seashell

seashell

So I see a few threads about stuttering when using the android app on an nvidia shield.  I'm seeing the same thing using the android app side loaded onto a shield pro.  The android tv app doesn't show the same problem.

I'm wondering for those who see stuttering do you see it every time you play the same file?  Or only some times?

The reason I ask is I've noticed the issue is the shield does not reset the video parameters correctly after playing a video when match frame rate / resolution are turned on.  So if I play a video it will switch to the correct settings, but when I exit the video or the video ends the UI does not switch back to the basic settings.  I've even had it leave HDR active.

Then if I try to play a different video, that video will do various odd things.  I've had it not play any video at all, only sound.  I've had it stutter, skip, etc.

If I exit and force kill the app then reenter I can play the formerly problematic video with no problem as it sets does the correct matching video parameters.

Watching multiple videos with the same settings works fine (such as episodes in a series), it's just a problem when the video settings change.

Does this match the behavior others are seeing?

To devs:  No I don't have any logs at this time.  I just figured I see if this was a common theme in the problems.

PrincessClevage

I generally only see stutters when playing truehd audio, can seem to handle passthrough 

seashell

Ok, here's some logs showing several problems using the just pushed beta server and the android app.

Your instructions say there should be a send log button in the app, I don't see it.  There was a share at the top of the log.  I clicked it.  It seemed to do nothing.  Very satisfying.

I did the following:

Played "ashow".  It should have been in 5.1 TrueHD but the hardware chain said it was seeing 2.1 DD.  Odd.

I stopped the show and went and played "amovie".  For some reason this was apparently transcoded according to the server logs.  It should not require transcoding.

I stopped the movie and went back and played "ashow" again.  The show played with just a black screen.  No video.  But this time the hardware says the 5.1 TrueHD is playing.

This post log, but I just tried again.  "ashow" will not play video.  Now to make it play I will have to force stop the app and restart it.

embyserver.txtffmpeg-remux-4e9ba895-8e99-4246-8878-d344abcd8d69_1.txt

seashell

So just as a quick check I force stopped the app and went back in and selected to play "amovie"  It played correct with no transcoding since it wasn't locked into some settings from having first played "ashow".

I tried to go back to the non-beta server to see if it would help but apparently you changed the database in a non-backwards compatible way. 

I switched to the beta to get HW transcoding to work on my alder lake chipset.

18 minutes ago, seashell said:

So just as a quick check I force stopped the app and went back in and selected to play "amovie"  It played correct with no transcoding since it wasn't locked into some settings from having first played "ashow".

I tried to go back to the non-beta server to see if it would help but apparently you changed the database in a non-backwards compatible way. 

I switched to the beta to get HW transcoding to work on my alder lake chipset.

When it was transcoding it was due to the app switching to transcoding after the player reported an error with the file. Changing server version isn't going to make a difference with that.

can you please try sideloading the latest build:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Then can you obtain an android app log by following the instructions here:

Thanks.

seashell

I have side loaded the app.  How new is the newest?  And I had logging on and have a log, but the share button doesn't seem to do anything.  How do I "obtain" the log that's sitting there?

Why do you think the share button doesn't do anything?

seashell

Because I press it and nothing happens.    If it works and shares with you you should have the log around the time of my post.

Do you have anything installed that can share, like an email or messaging app?

seashell

No.  It's a TV device. 

Does it save them somewhere?  Or can it send them to the server?

They are saved in the app's private data folders, so generally only the app can access them.

There is no function to upload them to your emby server although it's possible for the future.

seashell

So I have no way to get the log w/o installing some messaging app?  That's frustrating.  Also consider my suggestion for a non-public log upload system.

I doubted it was server related, but would have tried.  I also figure the transcoding is just a part of the issue I'm saying that the app basically locks in the first mode and then can't get back.  So first video plays correctly(ish) and everything else is borked after that.

The ish part is the odd choice it made to play 2.0 instead of 5.1 audio.

seashell

Trying more on the shield it's just very buggy for me.   Pretty much everything I play starts in 2.1 DD audio even though it's natively some form of TrueHD.  I have to stop playback and restart it to get audio to play the correct TrueHD output.  And playing the next file is just a crapshoot of whether it will show video or not.  It's a bummer.  The interface is definitely nicer than the AndroidTV version.

Let me know if there's ever an updated version that can share the logs w/o the need to install some messaging app.  Circumstance permitting whenever that is (if ever) I'd try to capture some logs for you.

• 3 weeks later...
seashell
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you please try the latest update to our standard android app?

Do you mean 3.3.68?  If so great timing.  I just this moment was watching a show and skipped a few 10 second intervals forward and the video started stuttering like showing every 5th frame.  I've had this happen several times.  Usually just skipping back 10 seconds and letting it go from there fixes the problem.

I also just saw something else I've seen before.  I have normal episodes mixed in with extras (behind the scenes, interviews, etc.)  The normal episodes are 1080p with 5.1 DTS-HA MA and the extras are 480(not sure i/p) with 2 ch AC/3 and when it switches modes to the extra the audio is often out of sync.  Again doing a 10 second backwards seek fixes things and the audio is in sync again.

• Thanks 1