iGPU vs. dGPU, Power Utilization

darrenkdean

darrenkdean

Updated to Emby Server Beta 4.8.0.74 & am successfully pushing thru the dGPU & iGPU into the docker container.  PC is an Intel NUC 12 Serpent Canyon, Intel I7-12700H & 16GB Intel Arc A770m dGPU.

This is our 1st Emby build in 10 years, that has a dGPU vs. having only the iGPU Intel QuickSync.  My question is one of power utilization & transcoding best practices. 

• Does the iGPU Intel QuickSync draw less power for transcoding than the dGPU Intel QuickSync?
  • Is there any reason to split them up, ie: iGPU for x264 & MPEG transcoding, dGPU for x265 & VP1?
  • Should the dGPU just be primary for everything?

Most things on our server direct stream & it is rare that more than 3-5x streams at any given time are transcoding, so we're not facing any known transcoding bottlenecks.  More looking at cost/benefit of selecting iGPU or dGPU to be lead, for various transcoding options.  Images of current transcoding settings attached.

Majority of content is x265 HEVC HDR10 some x264.

How would you do it?  Any thoughts on this?

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by darrenkdean
Added content type, for clarity & application of question.

rbjtech

Curious why you felt the need to get a dGPU ?

The iGPU on the 12700H is on-par with the dGPU one - re h264 (which emby uses to transcode).

The dGPU does have AV1 encode - but that won't be utilised.

re power - the iGPU will be using a fraction of what the dGPU will be using ...

Emby cannot use multiple encoders at the same time for the same codec - so only your 'top' choice will be used - even if it's at 100%

If you have a very loaded system with mixed transcoding loads (say some hevc, some mpeg etc) then it may be worth splitting the preferences to load them both up.

Edited by rbjtech

darrenkdean
18 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Curious why you felt the need to get a dGPU ?

The iGPU on the 12700H is on-par with the dGPU one - re h264 (which emby uses to transcode).

The dGPU does have AV1 encode - but that won't be utilised.

re power - the iGPU will be using a fraction of what the dGPU will be using ...

Emby cannot use multiple encoders at the same time for the same codec - so only your 'top' choice will be used - even if it's at 100%

If you have a very loaded system with mixed transcoding loads (say some hevc, some mpeg etc) then it may be worth splitting the preferences to load them both up.

lol, that's an easy one.  My wife does not like the size, sound, or heat output of our server equipment in her craft room, hence everything is being miniaturized /right sized.  Shipping prior/larger equipment down to hooray4me to repurpose.  The Intel NUC 12 serpent canyon, was the right size, specs, for a proxmox host & Emby Server & came pre-built with both the iGPU & dGPU (was also on a decent sale when purchased).  We also like to test out the various server/media platforms from time to time, & the dGPU makes it easy to do so without interfering with Emby.

I thought the iGPU would use a fraction of the energy that the dGPU would use for transcoding streams, but was not certain.  You have confirmed it.  Much appreciated!