SSL Service Not Running?

shackbill
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

shackbill

I setup SSL in early December and arbitrarily set port 8920 as the https port.  I have a DDNS name mapped to my external address and everything seemed to work for a while.  I have my mode set to Preferred but not required since i wanted to test this for a while.

A couple weeks ago i noticed i could no longer connect SSL. The cert is still good i am just not getting a connection. scratching my head i checked everything i could think of firewall, rules, etc.

Today i did a netstat on the emby server and i dont see anything listening on that port. Also, in the log an error shows ' Error Loading Cert from...' but yet it is there located on the c Drive. WOuld a bad or unloadable pfx file prevent the service from at least running? I dont see any disk permission issues.

Also, dashboard show 'Running on port 8097' for http but nothing for https.

Any idea why this service is not running would be helpful thanks.

Netstat.jpg

NetworkSetting.jpg

NetworkSetting2.jpg

Log.txt

2024-01-22 13:11:27.928 Error App: Error loading cert from C:\zeroSSL\certificate.pfx
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.14.0
	Command line: C:\Users\bill\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.22621
	Framework: .NET 6.0.21
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/bill/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: C:\Users\bill\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\bill\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: The specified network password is not correct.

shackbill

well thats a pretty cryptic response. Are you referring to the network password error? Not sure it can be wrong i am logged into the EMBY Server as admin. and the pfx is not on a network share? can you please elaborate. thanks. oh and i checked the .bat file i used to create the cert and the cert password is correct as well

Edited by shackbill

The error the server is getting from the dotnet runtime is that the certificate password is incorrect.

shackbill

well ive checked it and retyped it twice now. dont know how it couldve just changed by itself. i guess i will create a new cert and try again. thanks.

• Solution
Q-Droid

I don't know which .bat you're using but you should avoid using certain symbol characters in the passphrase because they can be evaluated by the interpreter running the script. Plain characters (upper/lower/numbers) should be more than enough for the cert files.

shackbill

yup i just figured that out. doesnt like special characters. Ran another with just a weak password and its fine now thanks.

Now i gotta figure out how to make my fqdn work right??    i have DDNS with asus for my domain.com but i am trying to forward to emby.domain.com so i get bad cert now?