trailers showing up on firestick TV but not Roku TV

Ricobico
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Ricobico

Just as the Title says, trailers show up (automatically) on my daughter's Firestick TV, and our basement TV that has a Firestick streamer. Trailers show up right next to the play button and the quality is  fine and it is a nice feature. That said, I cannot get it to work that way on the TV with a Roku streaming stick. I have gone through settings, but I cannot find anything that is set up differently in my profile vs the other TV's. Is it a Roku issue?

Any help would b e appreciated. Loving the  server/app by the way!

20240121_212838_resized.jpg

20240121_211733_resized.jpg

• Solution

Hi, it's because some trailers are sourced from youtube and on Roku there's no way for us to play these.

But trailers in general are supported by the emby Roku app if you were to add your own trailer files:

Trailers

• Agree 1

Ricobico

Thank you for the quick reply.

so, if I were to just dump Roku, I would have trailers?

are there any outstanding handicaps to running Emby with only Amazon Firestick? I realize that may be a broad question.

Edited by Ricobico

9 hours ago, Ricobico said:

Thank you for the quick reply.

so, if I were to just dump Roku, I would have trailers?

are there any outstanding handicaps to running Emby with only Amazon Firestick? I realize that may be a broad question.

None that I can think of.

It is because on Roku you cannot Embed other players into their environment. On Android you can embed other players into the environment. Amazon is several versions behind with Android 9 and is currently developing their own OS rather than port any future Android versions. The Echo show and some models of Fire TV already have the new Amazon OS.

Google does not profit or monetize content from the embed of their player. The quality of whatever is served through this method will provide the lowest quality available. That is the problem people presently experience with the Trailer plugin. The same problem is found on the links. Google wants you to use their YouTube app to view these in higher quality.

Edited by speechles

Ricobico
10 minutes ago, speechles said:

It is because on Roku you cannot Embed other players into their environment. On Android you can embed other players into the environment. Amazon is several versions behind with Android 9 and is currently developing their own OS rather than port any future Android versions. The Echo show and some models of Fire TV already have the new Amazon OS.

Google does not profit or monetize content from the embed of their player. The quality of whatever is served through this method will provide the lowest quality available. That is the problem people presently experience with the Trailer plugin. The same problem is found on the links. Google wants you to use their YouTube app to view these in higher quality.

Thank you. That makes sense. I might update to Firestick if I have any more problems. I don't really like how Firestick works as an add-on to our older TV (the interface is really slow), but on my daughters smart TV, it works great and is fast.

48 minutes ago, Luke said:

None that I can think of.

Thank you. Same reply as above.

Ricobico

Follow up, and maybe this should be in another thread: Are subtitle issues more prevalent with Roku vs Firestick as well? I am having some issues with them either not playing, even though CC is selected, or sometimes playing sometimes not (on the Roku).

Gilgamesh_48
10 hours ago, Ricobico said:

I would say yes but with an exception. The abilities of the Fire TV stick is a little greater than Roku's, even Ultras, but I find the interface less pleasant to use. Emby has tried to make all interfaces the same (which I think is a mistake but it is what Emby wants to do) but there are little glitches/features of the Fire's interface that I find irritating.  

I may be a bit influenced because the first streamer I ever had was a Roku N1000 that was called, at the time I bought it, "The Netflix Streamer." I became so used to it that I might be prejudiced in favor of the way Roku works.

I have a fire stick and a Roku on my main TV. I do not use the Fire much but there are a very few apps that simply have no Roku app and a few others that work better on the fire stick.

Ricobico
4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I would say yes but with an exception. The abilities of the Fire TV stick is a little greater than Roku's, even Ultras, but I find the interface less pleasant to use. Emby has tried to make all interfaces the same (which I think is a mistake but it is what Emby wants to do) but there are little glitches/features of the Fire's interface that I find irritating.  

I may be a bit influenced because the first streamer I ever had was a Roku N1000 that was called, at the time I bought it, "The Netflix Streamer." I became so used to it that I might be prejudiced in favor of the way Roku works.

I have a fire stick and a Roku on my main TV. I do not use the Fire much but there are a very few apps that simply have no Roku app and a few others that work better on the fire stick.

Thank you. I am a pretty basic user, or at least historically-so. I have had WDTV streaming boxes for 15 years, just for streaming my personal collection of movies and shows from my PC, but their time has come and gone and I have been looking for a replacement for a long time. The visuals on the WD were not anything but text, so getting Emby and seeing movie covers with movie descriptions is like magic. Also, Emby not having issues with playing certain file types is nice (or at least I haven't run into any yet). so overall I am thrilled. I would like to see how somebody else has their Emby system set up...somebody who really takes advantage of every option/app/plugin.

Gilgamesh_48
3 minutes ago, Ricobico said:

I would like to see how somebody else has their Emby system set up...somebody who really takes advantage of every option/app/plugin.

Then the person you want to hear from is not me. I use and really like Emby but, mostly, I use it in a very basic way as I watch content not the interface. For me most of the "pretty" features get in the way. I do not even use Emby for audio as I find other apps, MediaMonkey in particular, superior for audio by a huge margin. 

I am also not one that really wants one app to do everything. That is I prefer using the correct knife for each task to carrying a "Swiss Army Knife" that does most everything but nothing very well. I am one of the people that believe in using the best tool for a job is better than trying to find one tool to do everything.

But the fact that there are a LOT of plugins and features that a LOT of people use kind of proves that not everyone agrees with my methods. I only have about 10 plugins installed and at least two of them I am not sure I need. (Webhooks and Port mapper) But they do not seem to do anything that gets in the way.

Ricobico
17 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Then the person you want to hear from is not me. I use and really like Emby but, mostly, I use it in a very basic way as I watch content not the interface. For me most of the "pretty" features get in the way. I do not even use Emby for audio as I find other apps, MediaMonkey in particular, superior for audio by a huge margin. 

I am also not one that really wants one app to do everything. That is I prefer using the correct knife for each task to carrying a "Swiss Army Knife" that does most everything but nothing very well. I am one of the people that believe in using the best tool for a job is better than trying to find one tool to do everything.

But the fact that there are a LOT of plugins and features that a LOT of people use kind of proves that not everyone agrees with my methods. I only have about 10 plugins installed and at least two of them I am not sure I need. (Webhooks and Port mapper) But they do not seem to do anything that gets in the way.

Thanks again. I don't like messy setups either, I was just curious. I use it solely for streaming from my PC, but it's nice when I have 100 new movies and my wife says "what is this one about", that I can see the synopsis and/or watch a trailer. Beyond that, I don't really need much, and had far less with the WD setup for years and we were happy (I had to look up synopsis on my phone, lol).

I am older (53) so I don't use a lot of apps, period. But I am also curious about tech, so it's always good to see how other people use the latest apps/programs to make life easier.

Cheers!

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, Ricobico said:

Thanks again. I don't like messy setups either, I was just curious. I use it solely for streaming from my PC, but it's nice when I have 100 new movies and my wife says "what is this one about", that I can see the synopsis and/or watch a trailer. Beyond that, I don't really need much, and had far less with the WD setup for years and we were happy (I had to look up synopsis on my phone, lol).

I am older (53) so I don't use a lot of apps, period. But I am also curious about tech, so it's always good to see how other people use the latest apps/programs to make life easier.

Cheers!

You are just a young whippersnapper. 53 is just the beginning of adult life. (Well maybe more like 50) 

I am 75 and really do not like much about technology replacing brains in the last 20-30 years and I consider things like Twitter as one of the greatest impediments to communication. Yes I use text messaging and bulletin boards but i do not use the cesspools of communication that  crap like Twitter has become. Yes, I know it is now called "X" but that renaming really changed nothing.

I believe technology is a tool but not a substitute for people actually thinking on their own.

I also do not believe technology does much to make life 'easier" I think it simply makes life different. I lost power for a couple of days a while back and I really did not miss much about it except I do not have any means of outdoor cooking and few foods I have do not need heating at least. I "solved" that with technology by using a medium power battery backup and a low power microwave. Not a high tech solution but still a solution that needs technology to work. I now have a small barbecue rack and some charcoal and some lighter fluid stored so I will not have that problem again. Of course that means that the reason for the need probably will not happen for a long time.

Emby is exactly what I need for playing my media but it is neither "necessary" or  even needed most of the time.

Ricobico
40 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I believe technology is a tool but not a substitute for people actually thinking on their own.

well said and I agree 100%. I really despise social media, especially seeing what it has done to the latest generation -- X or Twitter being the worst of them, IMO.

Emby is great for what I need, and that is streaming movies and tv shows to my television. It's nice to have a forum for feedback, or help. Nice to see someone that is my senior is working it so well.

My old Weber gas grill is always ready, and I already cook on it 3-4 nights a week. I was never able to get charcoal figured out. The food was either burned, under-cooked or tasted like lighter fluid.

My childhood technology next to my desk (yes it works). Doesn't need electricity either:

20240122_122327_resized.jpg