Remove Commercials from DVR recordings

zach1008

zach1008

Long time user of Plex and I have seen many posts on here mentioning the feature that is in plex of simply clicking a check box to remove commercials on recordings.  This feature works excellent and is one reason I am hesitant to migrate to Emby, however, Emby has the leg up on being able to support my IPTV provider.  Has this feature had any progress in development?  I have seen lots of posts as old as 2018 indicating this is on the future development list.  How future is this at this point as the oldest post I have seen is now about 6 years old.  Would really like to move away from Plex but this is very nice to have without having to have third party overpriced additional software. 

zach1008
4 minutes ago, Johnky said:

not sure what this is.  Assuming a feature request id however, not sure where that is useful.  I have searched for that number and find nothing.

zach1008
1 minute ago, richt said:

I have seen post after post about how poor this works.  Is it not bad anymore?  Is this all that is needed to have the same function that Plex offers?

richt

It works as well as Comskip works in identifying commercials.  The only feature that I'd like to see that it doesn't have is the ability to skip back to the beginning of a commercial break with a single click. 

Spaceboy
11 hours ago, zach1008 said:

I have seen post after post about how poor this works.  Is it not bad anymore?  Is this all that is needed to have the same function that Plex offers?

dunno where you have seen that. it can be a little tricky to implement on non windows setup but it will work as any other system that uses comskip (including plex).

i agree with the previous poster, ive seen much better implementation of the skipping functionality (dvrms toolbox and WMC still the gold standard), but on the detection side it just works

zach1008

So is just comskip needed to have live tv dvr recordings skip commercials when played back?  What is the best setup guide to follow for this plugin?

richt
7 hours ago, zach1008 said:

So is just comskip needed to have live tv dvr recordings skip commercials when played back?  What is the best setup guide to follow for this plugin?

Both comskip and the ComSkipper plugin are required.  You'll need comskip to scan the file and generate the .edl file and then ComSkipper to skip commercials during playback. 

Set up can be simple and quick or a bit more complicated depending on your specific usage.  For example, comskip can be a bit more complicated to install on Linux.  The best place to start is the link @Spaceboysupplied.

emveepee
7 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

(dvrms toolbox and WMC still the gold standard)

The primary reason for that is because dvr-ms and wtv  are are indexed and many ts files don't have accurate timestamps, comskip reads the source video the same way.  Remuxed mp4 files with an edl file should offer equivalent skipping quality.  I am luck the recordings I make are pretty much spot one (using comskip on Linux)

richt
18 minutes ago, emveepee said:

The primary reason for that is because dvr-ms and wtv  are are indexed and many ts files don't have accurate timestamps, comskip reads the source video the same way.  Remuxed mp4 files with an edl file should offer equivalent skipping quality.  I am luck the recordings I make are pretty much spot one (using comskip on Linux)

Yeah, much better performance on re-muxed mp4 or mkv files.  But that as you note is an issue with the .ts format.
I'm on Linux as well and run a post processing script to convert the .ts recordings to H.264 mp4's and then run comskip against the mp4's.

zach1008
5 hours ago, richt said:

Both comskip and the ComSkipper plugin are required.  You'll need comskip to scan the file and generate the .edl file and then ComSkipper to skip commercials during playback. 

Set up can be simple and quick or a bit more complicated depending on your specific usage.  For example, comskip can be a bit more complicated to install on Linux.  The best place to start is the link @Spaceboysupplied.

I was assuming I need both.  Comskipper is well documented and easy to get, however, I have not found comskip.  Am I just overlooking the plugin file for that?

zach1008
1 hour ago, richt said:

Comskip is available at - https://www.comskip.org/

The link to the ComSkipper plugin is found in the first post in the link I prvided, but for convenience - https://github.com/BillOatmanWork/Emby.ComSkipper/releases/tag/v2.0.0.0

thanks for this and all help on this thread. I am doing some testing but appears that I have things in place and working.  Hopefully I can make Emby better overall than Plex was.  Having IPTV sources work directly with plugins is huge and now having commercials removed from DVR recordings is the next big step.  

May be best for another topic but any suggestions on optimizing/tuning to make Emby work great for both local and external streaming of live tv and movies?  Hope to make this switch completely soon and just want to make sure things are the best they can be.  I am running emby on a Windows system for context.

Spaceboy
17 hours ago, emveepee said:

yeah i dint even really mean the detection or setting of skip points. dvrmstoolbox also provided lots of function within WMC to action the skip points or to ignore them if they were wrong. i havent seen anything else that comes close to that

emveepee

I don't know how comskip works in Emby or if it supports edl type 2.  I know in NextPVR many users configure playback to not automatically skip commercials so use all edl breaks as scene markers with manual "scene" skips with prev/next. 

Edited by emveepee