Multiple Emby Servers on One Synology DS220+

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Hi, I've been happily running Emby Server 4.7 for a long time, but now that I'm gotten my family more used to my Emby server I haven't really been able to participate in the betas since it's constantly being used and leveraging them for troubleshooting is far from ideal.  That being said if I could run a second Emby server on the same NAS, on a different port, that only I use... I'd personally be happy to install the latest and help test.

I have 4.7.14.0 installed through the package manager.  I think if I tried to install the latest beta spk (or another 4.7.14.0 in which to update to the latest beta for testing purposes) it would just try to overwrite or update the existing Emby installation.

I imagine even if I could install it, I'd probably have a myriad of port issues until everything was setup.  But I suppose I'm willing to work through that.

Just curious if anyone has any experience or advice doing this sort of thing with Synology?  A docker container could be an option but I'd really rather test 1:1 with my "production" Emby server instance (last time I tried a docker container it was a mess getting hardware transcoding working anyways).

Appreciate any insight

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

@FrostBytehave you tried this before?

I've seen several people do that using docker, but have not tried it myself.  It does work though.

If you have two volumes you can change your default volume before installing using Package Center or select a volume during install.  However, I'm not sure DSM will let you install Beta on one and Stable on the other.  It would probably just see the app is already installed and upgrade. 

Dreakon13

Sounds like if I want to try and do this I'd need a docker container.  I'll think about it.  Thanks guys

FrostByte

That would probably be best to separate the two like that.

If I had two volumes I would try doing something like this using SSH and specifying the other volume.  Maybe if @Carlo was here he might try in his lab.  If not familiar with reinstalling though it wouldn't be worth it.

sudo synopkg stop EmbyServer
sudo synopkg install emby-server-synology72_4.8.0.74_x86_64.spk [volume] [user] [beta]

Even if it did work it would be sharing the same service, so not sure it would be a good idea.

Edited by FrostByte

A32

You can try installing vDSM and run Emby on that instance (vDSM is included with your license). I know it works. I’m doing it on a DS920+. However, with a DS220+ memory might be an issue. You can try it, and if you’re running low, you can upgrade the RAM, they’re relatively cheap. Synology says the max is 6GB but users are running 18GB with no problems.

The other thing is that the 220+ has a two core processor (not four), so you shouldn’t push it with lots of transcoding.