Limit download access

CaffNoir

CaffNoir

Hi !

It's would be cool to limit the download access to users in emby. What i'm trying to say is, when someone download a movie it's downloaded directly on his device and even emby is deleted or his account disabled, he still have access to downloaded files.

It's would be cool to download the movie somewhere only emby app can access it and remove the file if the user is disabled or deleted.

Thanks you !

:))

HI, emby for android and iOS store the downloads in the app's private data folder. The only thing they don't do is remove the downloads if the user is deleted or disabled.

The problem is that Emby for Windows allows you to configure the download path and this feature you're asking for would require removing that customization.

CaffNoir

Yeah but for android users who know pretty much how to access to the data of an app, it's pretty easy to have access to the direct file. Also that's the same for web app. It's downloading directly to the download folder that let access to the user to do whatever they want with the file.

Also at least if it's possible to add a simple thing like the "max display screen" but for "max download" with an automatic system of 1 month for exemple so the user will be able to download 1 file/month or whatever we want to setup.

For the file deleting i approuve it's not something easy to do but something with a temp token, allowing user to not be connected to internet for like 1 week and keep access to the files and if the user can't connect to internet, the file start to be unavailable

I don't know if it's hard so i'm just suggesting this :)

Hi.  For a web browser, this would be almost impossible to control but you can already determine who is and isn't allowed to download content. Why do you need to restrict your friends and family after the fact?

• Like 1

CaffNoir

I know my friends and i know fews of them can share the movie with for exemple familly or even keep it for them. I don't see any issue from my side but i don't want trouble so it will be better to limit it.

For the web maybe a checkbox with a setting like "Allow to download from the web app" could be good. It can be global or even for each users. 

• 4 weeks later...
unisoft

Wouldn't this require widevine drm to do properly? Can see why people who share with family or friends would want to limit and would actually help prevent industry critics saying emby opens piracy to support their agenda....

Edited by unisoft