Apple TV - New Movie Layout Unreadable

Radical924

Radical924

Hello,

I just updated my Emby app on Apple TV and now it's completely unusable. You cannot read a thing on any movie or tv show that has a backdrop as it displays the text in white overtop of the backdrops. Some backdrops also look very stretched. Is there a way to revert back to the way it was before I updated the app or at the very least add a black background behind the text descriptions etc.. so they are readable?

Edited by Radical924

HI there, can you please show an example of what you mean? Thanks.

Radical924

I've attached a before update photo and after update photo as an example. As you can see before the layout was readable with a poster... The new layout makes it impossible to tell what your looking at. It's like this for everything...

BEFORE:

BEFORE UPDATE.jpg

AFTER:

AFTER UPDATE.jpg

Edited by Radical924

SamES

It looks like you're missing a lot of images.  Try refresh metadata and replace all images on the server.

This is what I get for the same movie

image.thumb.png.91d90cd4b8c710fb0d74e066cd5b10c4.png

SamES

We can improve this if there is no background image.  Thanks

Radical924

While I agree it looks like I'm missing some metadata it still should be similar to your image and not what I posted. This is with Apple TV so I don't know if it's just a glitch or what but it never looked like it does now before.

SamES

This is better, it matches the web app now

Proposed

image.thumb.png.dca7886617420935f9a5f7e332f45adb.png

The web app, for comparison

image.thumb.png.9d6ad54eab7065ff71f9f60f366ff21c.png

Edited by SamES
  • Agree 1

Radical924
6 hours ago, SamES said:

This is better, it matches the web app now

Proposed

image.thumb.png.dca7886617420935f9a5f7e332f45adb.png

The web app, for comparison

image.thumb.png.9d6ad54eab7065ff71f9f60f366ff21c.png

I like your proposed solution much better! It's readable which is the main thing. If it did optionally include backdrops I'd have the backdrop to the right or something or above so you can still read it.

• Thanks 1

SamES
11 hours ago, SamES said:

It looks like you're missing a lot of images.  Try refresh metadata and replace all images on the server.

This is what I get for the same movie

image.thumb.png.91d90cd4b8c710fb0d74e066cd5b10c4.png

If you had a backdrop, it would then look like this image in my earlier post

Edited by SamES

Radical924
3 hours ago, SamES said:

If you had a backdrop, it would then look like this image in my earlier post

Hmmm okay. How do I implement your solution? Or will this come in a future update as an option?

SamES
5 hours ago, Radical924 said:

Hmmm okay. How do I implement your solution? Or will this come in a future update as an option?

It will be in the next update - no options, that's just how it will display

Radical924
On 20/01/2024 at 21:49, SamES said:

It will be in the next update - no options, that's just how it will display

I re-scanned my library refreshing existing metadata and turned on image fetchers (for some reason it was off)... anyways this is what the Web app looks like. I would love this look if possible for Apple TV. It shows both poster and backdrops and the backdrop is dimmed in the background so you can still read all the text. Also it doesn't stretch the backdrop image to some strange resolution. I've noticed it will take a backdrop even if the wrong size and stretch it on Apple TV.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 105929.png

Edited by Radical924
  • Thanks 2

SamES

The image you have shown is from the server, not the web app client view.  Please try opening the same movie from http://tv.emby.media (this is the web based tv view) and you should see this layout, that is what the Apple TV client is matching.  It does not have the poster view when displayed this way.  I think that is why you are seeing a difference.

image.thumb.png.7913b01b266ce0dcada58ae94dc70b5a.png

The current AppleTV view below - same fading (unfortunately we can't do the gradient fade which makes it darker at the bottom).  In the current version, it should not be stretching the backdrop - that was an issue I've fixed now.

image.png

arrbee99

Please tell me its supposed to be like / it will be like the first image above...

Radical924
1 hour ago, SamES said:

The image you have shown is from the server, not the web app client view.  Please try opening the same movie from http://tv.emby.media (this is the web based tv view) and you should see this layout, that is what the Apple TV client is matching.  It does not have the poster view when displayed this way.  I think that is why you are seeing a difference.

image.thumb.png.7913b01b266ce0dcada58ae94dc70b5a.png

The current AppleTV view below - same fading (unfortunately we can't do the gradient fade which makes it darker at the bottom).  In the current version, it should not be stretching the backdrop - that was an issue I've fixed now.

image.png

Okay Mine looks just like yours now in the web app. Much better. Its too bad you cant do the gradient but at least it now seems readable.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 145547.png

• Thanks 1