Subtitle causing transcoding

all4dom

all4dom

@SamES

@FrostByte

What subtitle formats does the samsung tv emby client play that wouldn't trigger transcoding. Thanks

Dom

Edited by all4dom

all4dom

Thanks @Luke. I just responded to u in the other post. Sorry for the extra work.

all4dom

@Lukeone more question .... sorry..... when i selected the subtitle while playing the movie it didnt come on but when i selected the subtitle before starting the movie it worked...is this normal? Thank you again.

Dom

FrostByte

image.jpeg.b7825bacc977eedec8eae264732ae8a1.jpeg

Edited by FrostByte
first pic got cropped

all4dom

@FrostByteok so .srt & .sub. thanks. Do i have to.select subs in the beginning before starting the movie for it to work?. Thanks again

Dom

SamES

No, during should be fine. What format did you pick during playback that didn’t start?  Was that an embedded or external sub?

• Like 1

all4dom

I believe it was .srt ,& .sub. I have been messing with 2 movies redoing the rips & incase adding the subtitles & it wasn't working. I originally selected the pgs but now that I know the others work I'll redo them again. I have emby theater version from Oct, it's 1.64 but I need help taking my tv off the wall to update with the usb. I still have my old mount which doesn't extend. I'm gonna change it soon hopefully.

FrostByte

A usb extension cable should work also.  Though you would still need to get back there once to plug it in

all4dom

In just waiting til I can get someone to help me move it. May just ask my neighbor as he helped me the first time putting it up.

SamES

If it’s 2019 or later TV then there should be a new store version released soon. 

all4dom

its a 2023 version, plus i have a 2023 version for my son.

all4dom

So I have a file, made it pass through but kept 5.1 audio format so no transcoding. It plays fine. I changed the subtitle from remux...pgs to idx/sub, which is the only other format I can select when making the movie pass through. My problem is this gives me 2 files.... .idx & .sub & I think I need both from what I read & it still transcodes & I have to select the sub before playing the movie. Stats for nerds tells me that it's transcoding because of subtitles. It doesn't give me an option for .srt.... that's only when I encode as a different format, which I'm trying now to see of I have the same problem.

6 hours ago, all4dom said:

So I have a file, made it pass through but kept 5.1 audio format so no transcoding. It plays fine. I changed the subtitle from remux...pgs to idx/sub, which is the only other format I can select when making the movie pass through. My problem is this gives me 2 files.... .idx & .sub & I think I need both from what I read & it still transcodes & I have to select the sub before playing the movie. Stats for nerds tells me that it's transcoding because of subtitles. It doesn't give me an option for .srt.... that's only when I encode as a different format, which I'm trying now to see of I have the same problem.

Hi, do you have a question or problem?

SamES
7 hours ago, all4dom said:

changed the subtitle from remux...pgs to idx/sub,

I believe idx/sub is still graphical and will need transcoding.

You need to stick with ass/ssa, subrip or srt.  

Why don't you use the 'download subtitles' option which can automatically download srt based subs?

all4dom

@SamESyes i think your right. Dvdfab only gives ne the option of pgs & idx/sub. I wish inhad asked you last week because I spent a whole week trying every different way to not make it transcode with subtitles on. I'll read up on open subtitles to setup. @Lukeit wasnt a problem but just a question. 

SamES

If you only have the option to create idx/sub and you really want to have subtitles that are the exact match for your rips then have a look at Subtitle Edit.  It will scan a file, and extract idx/sub or vobsub/dvdsub, apply OCR to extract the subtitles and will export to srt (and possibly ass - I can't remember),

It allows you to view all the extracted subs beside the original before export so that you can review and make any adjustments, and if it finds words that it can't match it highlights them as exceptions so that you can fix them quickly

It is an extra step, but with a bit of experience it only takes about 10-15 minutes to make a good set of subs, less than 5 if you don't want to review or correct any issues.  As the output is a text file you can always go back later and correct any errors in a text editor, or Aegisub if you prefer to user a more dedicated/interactive text subtitle editor.

• Like 1

all4dom

@SamESI solved the problem. If i re encode the file instead of passthrough i can select .srt so what im doing is if its a certain show, I'll re encode just for the .srt & then add that file to my pass through file & if it's a show don't doesn't catch my eye ill just keep yhe re encoded file. 

On a side note I just received a dvd drive from Amazon that should do uhd disk. I haven't set it up yet but once I do I may ask for your help. Also i picked upbyje extension cable so I'll just ask my neighbor to help me & I'll plug the cable in.

Thank you for all your help & thank you also to @Luke @FrostByte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1