Local network viewing does not work, but only for iPhone?

Mikoyan

Mikoyan

I seem to be unable to view any videos at all on Emby via the App on iPhone, only when I am using the app, and only when I am on the local network (same subnet as the hosting server). I can view videos fine from outside the local network, but as soon as I switch to local network and try to watch any videos on the app, it returns an error, stating there are no compatible streams available. I didn't see anything obvious in logs to indicate why this is, and on other devices such as my iPad, PC/mobile browser, or Android TV, this behavior is absent and works fine. My firewall does not show any specific logs indicating issues at the time of play either, both on the host and perimeter. This behavior seemed extremely odd, and I was wondering what might be the cause.

Nothing obvious in logs to indicate why this is happening.

• 2 weeks later...
Mikoyan

I have attached logs for both iPhone and Windows app (not browser). I updated to 4.8.0.76 to take advantage of some new features and it seems that the windows app is also not working anymore. Neither of these cases generated any transcode logs, despite having Force Transcode option checked. Video either crashes outright or says "no compatible streams available".

Same as before, both are functional when I am out-of-network (remote). With iPhone this is easily simulated by simply turning off wi-fi and moving to cellular. On PC I cannot test because I cannot install a binary version of Emby browser and have to use windows store app, which uses a peculiar method to access the local network, rendering my VPN useless. I don't have any mobile windows devices at the moment.

embyserver_iphoneplayback.txt embyserver_pcplayback.txt

@Mikoyanplease attach the complete emby server log rather than just a snippet. And if there was an ffmpeg log, please attach that as well. Thanks.

Mikoyan

There are no transcode logs.

I will attach a log of playback attempts after server restart.

On 2/2/2024 at 2:42 AM, Mikoyan said:

There are no transcode logs.

I will attach a log of playback attempts after server restart.

That would be great, thanks !

Also are you still seeing this after the Emby for iOS update that just went out?

Mikoyan
On 2/5/2024 at 1:30 AM, Luke said:

Also are you still seeing this after the Emby for iOS update that just went out?

Updated to 4.9 and also updated ios app. Still seeing the issue.

I have attached full log immediately after restart, played a couple of files. No transcode logs.

embyserver_iphoneplayback_4.9.txt

slevin7

please forget the comment, it seems it was due to an iOS beta, after updating to ios 17.4 beta 2 everything is working again.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Mikoyan

Hello, this issue remains unresolved for me. I have since seen very strange behavior.

New server operates on Kubernetes cluster using official image. Beta 4.9.0.11

Existing server on Windows, Beta 4.9.0.10

It is bizarre that I can stream from iPhone now for the windows server yet this issue remains unresolved on my 'new' server. The issue was resolved on the old server when I temporarily migrated it to a different subnet. Local IP range was still marked correctly. Perhaps related, but the UI now takes forever on the localhost, waiting for a specific call to mb3admin.com. Once it receives NS_ERROR_NET_TIMEOUT it loads everything else. (this service should not cause the rest of the UI to hang.)

The reason it does this is because this server is isolated from the internet (no access besides port 8096) so I know why it happens, but I was wondering if the reason the streaming issue on my iPhone was fixed because this server could no longer access the internet. No time yet to test this theory, but I just wanted to mention the issue was unresolved still.

Mikoyan

Wow, more bizarre stuff. I figured I had nothing to lose and I uninstalled Emby from my iPhone and reinstalled it (which I figured would clear the data/cache for this app) and now I am able to view local streams again. I guess there was leftover data that was not properly cleaned out with app updates in the past that may have been causing issues?

Guess sometimes uninstall works.

6 hours ago, Mikoyan said:

Wow, more bizarre stuff. I figured I had nothing to lose and I uninstalled Emby from my iPhone and reinstalled it (which I figured would clear the data/cache for this app) and now I am able to view local streams again. I guess there was leftover data that was not properly cleaned out with app updates in the past that may have been causing issues?

Guess sometimes uninstall works.

Hi, that's interesting. Thanks for the feedback.