Metadata is odd with a colon ":" in a filename.

seashell
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

seashell

I have files with a ":" in them.  Like "Collection: Something."  Emby converts this to some other character to the left and below the previous character.

Hopefully this example pulled from the edit metadata screen will come through whatever encoding the forum uses.

Filename:  Collection: E18

Displayed name and name in metadata:  Collection E18

I don't know what character that is, and haven't seen anything in the naming that says don't use colons, but maybe I missed it as ":" is kind of a hard search.

So what is this character and how do I get emby to stop converting a colon into it?

Edited by seashell
Typos

HI there, can you please provide a specific example along with screenshots to demonstrate? Thanks.

seashell

Do you not see the character in my previous post?  I do.  And it's specific example cut and paste.

I really need to see complete file paths, screenshots in the emby web app, as well as a server log either from when it was first imported or from refreshing metadata on it. Without that this is just guesswork. Thanks.

seashell

It appears to be the way samba handles colons in file names.   I'm not sure why sometimes it shows correctly in emby and othertimes not.  Attached is a log showing the filename with the translated colon.

Not sure why the colon gets through sometimes and not others.  It seems to be a problem in the "extras" "featurettes" etc. type folders but not at the top level, but that's just from scanning my library and not an exhausting search/test.

embyserver.txt

• Solution
pwhodges

Some operating systems (odd ones like Windows...) don't allow colons in file names, because they are used for drive letters.  One should not expect a smooth experience if trying to use them in file names as many programs are written to work with multiple OSs, and so combine their restrictions.

Paul

• Thanks 1

seashell

So it seems.  It looks like the colons that do work are not in the filenames but things emby has added when it pulled the metadata.

seashell

I'll go fix my filenames.  Consider this closed.  Sorry for any hassle.

many programs are written to work with multiple OSs, and so combine their restrictions.

true statement.

seashell
14 hours ago, Luke said:

true statement.

Now if only there was documentation listing all these combined restrictions.  It could even be on a page about library preparation or naming... 

• Thanks 1