How to Direct Stream / Force TrueHD to transcode?

fanboy

fanboy

Just testing Emby out, on Android TV. Trying to determine how to get my 4K content with TrueHD to Direct Stream?

TV is connected to AVR via eARC. Content Direct Plays, which means I only get stereo at the AVR (since TrueHD is not supported by TV / apps). If I try and adjust settings to force audio transcode, it also transcodes the video stream, which I don't want or need.

Haven't been able to find anything on how to reliably have things Direct Stream for this codec combo. Is this possible?

fanboy
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Server log attached below
No transcode log as it was Direct Play
Android TV debug logs:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
    - Blade Runner 2049 Direct Played.
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
    - 3:47 PM Eastern
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time
    - user: fanboy

embyserver.txt

FrostByte
1 hour ago, fanboy said:

Just testing Emby out, on Android TV. Trying to determine how to get my 4K content with TrueHD to Direct Stream?

TV is connected to AVR via eARC. Content Direct Plays, which means I only get stereo at the AVR (since TrueHD is not supported by TV / apps). If I try and adjust settings to force audio transcode, it also transcodes the video stream, which I don't want or need.

Haven't been able to find anything on how to reliably have things Direct Stream for this codec combo. Is this possible?

Which setting did you modify?  

ATV app has a setting to turn off passthrough of DTSHD and TrueHD.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I think this is what you want so that server converts TrueHD and DTSHD to AC3 5.1.  Otherwise, if you let it passthrough your hardware is probably converting it to PCM 2.0

image.thumb.png.affaae128234628d46e41fb492a51fc3.png

On server ensure you still have audio transcoding on for user.

image.thumb.jpeg.95ab4fa0add891c804e91e3a54af0efd.jpeg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

fanboy
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Which setting did you modify?  

ATV app has a setting to turn off passthrough of DTSHD and TrueHD.

I had changed the Audio Output setting to Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital. Which it was doing, but was also triggering a video transcode. I was trying to figure out how to get one without the other. (That part I believe you resolved for me, per my response below. Thanks!)

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

I think this is what you want so that server converts TrueHD and DTSHD to AC3 5.1.  Otherwise, if you let it passthrough your hardware is probably converting it to PCM 2.0

image.thumb.png.affaae128234628d46e41fb492a51fc3.png

On server ensure you still have audio transcoding on for user.

image.thumb.jpeg.95ab4fa0add891c804e91e3a54af0efd.jpeg

My player version is 2.0.98g and I don't see an update available.

I also do not have the allow TrueHD Pass-thru option, only the DTS and DTS-HD options. Assuming this is because it can tell that I don't have TrueHD support, but it somehow wasn't trying to transcode it automatically. It would Direct Play, and as you pointed out, because that is not actually supported it was getting dumped to PCM 2.0 which is what was being sent to my AVR.

However, I was not aware of the per user server settings, which I think is moving things closer. I changed the ATV player Audio Output setting back to Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital, and I disabled the Allow video transcoding option in the server settings for my user. Lo and behold, I now have reliable Direct Streaming. However, it seems the audio is being transcoded to AC3 and not EAC3. Is this a possibility with Emby? Desired result is that I am trying to retain any dynamic object information that may be in the original stream.

I also noticed a discrepancy reported with the video stream. Even though it says Direct Play for the video stream, the video resolution has been reduced. According to the ATV Player Stats for Nerds Playback Info, it is playing at 2592x1080 instead of the full 3840x1600 that it should be. (If I Direct Play then it reports the correct full resolution). How is this possible if it is supposedly Direct Playing the video stream?

• Like 1

FrostByte

I believe there is a FR to allow the user to choose the transcoded audio codec and bitrate, but as far as I know that hasn't been implemented.  Would like EAC3 myself.

The devs, or someone else will need to answer that last one.  Never seen that before myself.

• Like 1

fanboy

Ah OK, appreciate the responses and all the information!

TBH at this point I'm not even actually certain that would accomplish what I'm hoping. I may have misunderstood what is currently / easily achievable re transcoding.

I've been trying to simplify and minimize to accomplish being able to watch just via TV and only having to use a single remote, while still getting the best experience possible. But I may need to resign myself to needing to use a dedicated hardware device for a full playback experience. I have an Xbox that resolves the audio issues, but then loses out on some video support. Might be time to start researching the current gen playback devices and how their codec support is. Was hoping to avoid the added cost, clutter and complexity, but c'est la vie

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, fanboy said:

Ah OK, appreciate the responses and all the information!

TBH at this point I'm not even actually certain that would accomplish what I'm hoping. I may have misunderstood what is currently / easily achievable re transcoding.

I've been trying to simplify and minimize to accomplish being able to watch just via TV and only having to use a single remote, while still getting the best experience possible. But I may need to resign myself to needing to use a dedicated hardware device for a full playback experience. I have an Xbox that resolves the audio issues, but then loses out on some video support. Might be time to start researching the current gen playback devices and how their codec support is. Was hoping to avoid the added cost, clutter and complexity, but c'est la vie

If you're talking about HDR then the upcoming new Xbox app may work for you.  From what I understand Microsoft recently released software opening up HDR support to apps like Emby and Luke said they are getting closer to releasing the new app.  

• Like 1

fanboy

Oh good to know. I will try to remember to keep an eye out for an announcement and try it out.

20 hours ago, fanboy said:

I had changed the Audio Output setting to Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital. Which it was doing, but was also triggering a video transcode

Hi.  Can we please see an example of that?

fanboy
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can we please see an example of that?

Apologies. I think I mixed up what caused this to occur. I changed settings back to what I think were the defaults when I was originally testing and have been unable to reproduce. I think what actually caused it was when I tried choosing the Playback Correction... option during playback? I had been testing numerous things one after the other and mixed up which resulted in what.

NVM. I had missed a setting. I have now been able to reproduce. I will upload logs momentarily and update this post.

Android TV debug logs:

• The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
    - 7:59 PM Eastern
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time
    - user: fanboy

Per the subsequent posts from my original, was able to at least resolve the transcoding by changing the settings as suggested, which resulted in Direct Streaming as expected. (With the video resolution change caveat, that I will open a separate thread for.)

Screenshot 2024-01-19 165805.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ef7a2182-4063-440d-9d2f-d374d6823ea0_1.txt

Edited by fanboy
Example and logs added

Hi.  It is actually the selection of the graphic subtitles that is causing the video to have to transcode in that instance.

fanboy

Subtitles are not enabled during playback though. I just checked again. CC off, and it does not show Burning in subtitles in the playback info. If I choose one of the PGS based subtitles then it does update to show Burning in subtitles. But without subtitles selected, it still transcodes the video.

fanboy
6 hours ago, Luke said:

@fanboy

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

5 hours ago, ebr said:

That app doesn't have the option he is seeking which is to convert the audio to something other than stereo.

I was able to sideload the regular Android app version, but as was already pointed out, it did not contain the option to force the downmix of the audio. So it Direct Played everything.

1 hour ago, fanboy said:

I was able to sideload the regular Android app version, but as was already pointed out, it did not contain the option to force the downmix of the audio. So it Direct Played everything.

It will soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

CBers
6 hours ago, Luke said:

It will soon.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Although we have been waiting 18 months for that option.

• Thanks 1