CPU for Emby server (Intel Core i7-9700 vs AMD Ryzen 7 5700G)

AndreiP

AndreiP

Hi all, 

I consider this 2 CPU for my server. 

I would like to prioritize the most powerful CPU of course. From the start I noticed that AMD has a better score on benchmark, on the other hand Intel supports Quick Sync technology.
I'm planning to do some transcoding with my server and I have Emby premiere.

I believe that AMD is a better choice (twice as powerful according to the benchmark: 13248 vs 24642). However, could Intel's CPU do better just because it has Quick Sync?

Thank you. 

Edited by AndreiP

Hi, similar discussion here that you might find helpful: 

rbjtech

The UHD630 (quicksync) on the i7 will run rings around the Ryzen for transcoding using a fraction of the power and overall low cpu utilisation, leaving cpu for other tasks.   You will be pegging the Ryzen to achieve the same results.  But if little to no transcoding is required - then Ryzen is a much better choice as it is a more modern CPU with twice the core count.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

RanmaCanada

I'll be honest, the 9700 will do a better job, but the ASIC in it are not as good as newer generations.  If you can get a 12th or 13th gen, you would be much happier with the outcome in regards to quality and speed.  Quicksync is king, period, but not all quicksync encoders are the same quality (still better than AMD though).

• Thanks 1