My file is not playing via DLNA

Playnot

Playnot

Hey, everyone. 

My TV is constantly connected to the PC via HDMI, so I decided to try out the DLNA feature. Assuming I set up everything correctly, I can finally see my PC in the TV's sources menu.

I tried opening a 4k video, but I get the "This file type is not supported" message.

The TV model is [TV][LG]55UB820V-ZH when choosing the PC as a source it shows "SmartShareTM" as the app trying to play the stuff.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Also, not sure what other relevant info to provide, so let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

Playnot

Hey Luke,

Here's the embyserver.txt log
https://pastebin.com/CUQxpSe1

Here are a couple of ffmpeg-transcode logs and a hardware_detection log, not sure which might be relevant, so I'm uploading them all.

https://pastebin.com/R9M6f94W

https://pastebin.com/3bje5Z88

https://pastebin.com/TXiHiibY

The TV is "smart" but one of the earlier generation WebOS ones, I believe.

Can you please show the media info from the bottom of the emby web app detail screen? Thanks.

OK it is transcoding due to the PGS subtitles. Can you try a different .ts file that doesn't have any subtitles? Please see how that compares.

Playnot

--Meanwhile, I tried running the same files through the Android app on my phone over the home WiFi and it works fine.

I removed the subtitles from the .mkv container and I still get the same error. Attaching the embyserver log

embyserver (1).txt

Edited by Playnot

On 1/18/2024 at 4:10 PM, Playnot said:

--Meanwhile, I tried running the same files through the Android app on my phone over the home WiFi and it works fine.

I removed the subtitles from the .mkv container and I still get the same error. Attaching the embyserver log

embyserver (1).txt 61.59 kB · 1 download

Does the TV support 10-bit 4K hevc? It is a 2016 unit after all, right?

Playnot

I'm having trouble finding info in the manual and specs on that topic, but I'd wager it doesn't support them, because it's a 2014 model.

I thought Emby would detect my model and apply some settings to stream a compatible format, but maybe not over DLNA? I'm out of my depth here..

I thought Emby would detect my model and apply some settings to stream a compatible format, but maybe not over DLNA? I'm out of my depth here..

HI, over DLNA, auto-detection is not fully possible. For music file playback it's mostly possible. For video file playback the server would have to have built-in knowledge of your TV and what it supports, and we just don't have that.

Fortunately we have a Dlna profile system where you can adjust the output yourself. 
But before we get there, I see you're running a very old 4.7 beta version, which by now, is probably two years old.

Can you update to Emby Server 4.7.14?

Playnot

It actually shows 4.7.14.0 in my Emby portal, I update on every notification.

chrome_jPELIzDAV6.png

@Playnotif the issue is only occurring when burning in PGS then you may also want to try the 4.8 beta server.

At this point we don't know yet for sure if you need to design a custom profile for your TV.

Playnot

The TV isn't playing the file with or without subs in the .mkv, so I'll probably try the custom DLNA profile when I get a chance. Meanwhile I tried it on Chromecast and the original file plays fine there. But I'd still like to see if it's possible over DLNA.

Personally I think this is going to be a tough one because looking at the transcode log, we're converting to mpegts, h264, ac3. Most TV's will accept that. If your TV doesn't then I'm not sure what the transcoding format should be. Maybe aac audio instead of ac3 but if that were the issue, usually it would still play but just without sound.

Maybe you try that and get lucky but my suggestion for a 2014 Dlna device would be to focus on having files that it can direct play without transcoding.