How do we change ratings source for movies to IMDB?

jazzmonger

jazzmonger

Rotten Tomatoes is a TERRIBLE source for ratings.  IMDB is rated by a vast swath of normal movie goers, not a bunch of "professional" Rotten woke Tomato movie critics hoping their latest pet project succeeds.....

How do I change the source of ratings to IMDB?  or add it in addition to the others?

GrimReaper

IMDB rating should already there, as Community rating - yellow star in item details, do you not have it?

jazzmonger

I thought that rating was provided by TMDB????  Also IMDB is infinitely better at rating old movies, which we watch a lot and have a ton of.

Is TMDB related to IMDb?

Both IMDB and TMDb are dedicated to providing movie and series data. Both also get their data with the contribution of users. IMDB, being older, has a much larger amount of data. There is no association, or anything like that, between the two.
Edited by jazzmonger

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, jazzmonger said:

I thought that rating was provided by TMDB????

Since you're seeing RottenTomatoes rating - and the only place you could get those is OMDB meta-provider enabled in your library settings - Community Ratings will be IMDB ratings obtained from it, as well. If you provide those externally, it'll be the ratings with 'default="true"' under <ratings> node in your NFO.

Edited by GrimReaper

jazzmonger

Interesting.  This is what I have set in my library. I dont see IMDB here.  Is there something I need to add to see it? I didn't see a metadata plugin for IMDB or did I miss it somehow?

image.thumb.png.19df34c05b92b1f9f76c043cb9f145ec.png

Its not listed...

image.thumb.png.aa6d6622b1cc370a77a38e11fb069570.png

Edited by jazzmonger

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

and the only place you could get those is OMDB meta-provider enabled in your library settings

You already have it enabled, The Open Movie Database.

4 minutes ago, jazzmonger said:

I dont see IMDB here.  Is there something I need to add to see it? I didn't see a metadata plugin for IMDB or did I miss it somehow?

There's no IMDB meta-provider to be enabled, nothing is ever scraped from IMDB, you'll get IMDB ratings from OMDB, example:

{"Title":"The Marvels","Year":"2023","Rated":"PG-13","Released":"10 Nov 2023","Runtime":"105 min","Genre":"Action, Adventure, Fantasy","Director":"Nia DaCosta","Writer":"Nia DaCosta, Megan McDonnell, Elissa Karasik","Actors":"Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, Iman Vellani","Plot":"Carol Danvers gets her powers entangled with those of Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau, forcing them to work together to save the universe.","Language":"English, Urdu","Country":"United States","Awards":"2 wins & 4 nominations","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BM2U2YWU5NWMtOGI2Ni00MGMwLWFkNjItMjgyZWMxNjllNTMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"5.9/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"62%"}],"Metascore":"N/A","imdbRating":"5.9","imdbVotes":"64,305","imdbID":"tt10676048","Type":"movie","DVD":"N/A","BoxOffice":"$84,107,527","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

Edited by GrimReaper

jazzmonger

ok, I'm sort of starting to understand.....Forgive me, I'm new to this..  I had searched https://www.omdbapi.com/ but it doesnt explicitly say that the ratings come from IMDB.  In fact it states its not affiliated - which doesn't necessarily mean it doesnt get its data from there.

image.png.6b41619211889ea67412b669422f796c.png

This is a clue however:

04/08/19 - Added support for eight digit IMDb IDs.

Edited by jazzmonger

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, jazzmonger said:

but it doesnt explicitly say that the ratings come from IMDB.  In fact it states its not affiliated - which doesn't necessarily mean it doesnt get its data from there.

Hence you'll see some discrepancy, especially for the new movies and frequent changes in ratings/frequency of updates; over time, those ratings will stabilize and come closer/identical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jazzmonger said:

Interesting.  This is what I have set in my library. I dont see IMDB here.  Is there something I need to add to see it? I didn't see a metadata plugin for IMDB or did I miss it somehow?

image.thumb.png.19df34c05b92b1f9f76c043cb9f145ec.png

Its not listed...

image.thumb.png.aa6d6622b1cc370a77a38e11fb069570.png

There is no direct Imdb source. I believe it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars so it's a bit cost prohibitive.

But MovieDb has very nice metadata.