ROKU 'cc' Subtitles - where are they????

jazzmonger
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

jazzmonger

The web app lets me define/search for subtitles, but you cant on Roku or IOS???

Is this a bug or oversight?

I'd also expect to be able to adjust the subtitle delay from Roku....
and since the delay value is NOT retained when replaying a movie, how do you set it for use on the Roku app???????

I'm starting to love this Emby system and I'm now a Premier subscriber, but it feels like there are quite a few little details that really matter that haven't been implemented... especially when your'e deaf...

Also, I have one movie called "The Debt" and using the SubTitle search function comes up blank.  I can find the subtitle file on the web, but how do I add it to my movie????? and why wouldn't it be found?  its on OpenSubtitles... and the attached .srt file is in english.

https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/all/search-movie/q-osdb:70863/hearing_impaired-hearing_impaired-1/machine_translated-machine_translated-1/trusted_sources-trusted_sources-1

Jeff

The.Debt.2010.720p.BrRip.264.YIFY.srt

Edited by jazzmonger
file

9 hours ago, jazzmonger said:

Is this a bug or oversight?

Hi.  This is just a feature that hasn't been implemented in this app yet.  It is very high on the list for after the 4.8 server release though.

9 hours ago, jazzmonger said:

I'd also expect to be able to adjust the subtitle delay from Roku...

That one is probably going to be a little trickier as the Roku system doesn't give us much control over this type of thing but we're always searching for ways to potentially make this happen.

• Solution
pwhodges
43 minutes ago, jazzmonger said:

I can find the subtitle file on the web, but how do I add it to my movie?????

Simply drop it in the same directory as the movie, with the same name (other than extension).  If the timing's out, get a copy of Subtitle Edit to shift them in the SRT file to line up - it's really not hard (I tend to use Videolan VLC player to work out the required shift, as it can change it during play).

Although many people people don't, I prefer to embed the subs in the media file so that they can't get separated or lost - I use MKVToolNix to do that.

Paul

jazzmonger

Very helpful!  thanks.

Ive noticed that some of the movies I have use embedded subtitles in the MP4 file. Koren or Czech, or something.  Is there any way to remove them from the MP4 file tha you're aware of??

Edited by jazzmonger

pwhodges

You can use MKVToolNix for that - but you end up with an MKV file, not MP4, of course.

Paul

pwhodges

I should have mentioned, to make the instructions complete, that in the subtitle's file name, between the copy of the movie file's name and the srt extension, you should add ".en" to specify English, or maybe ".default.en", ".forced.en", or ".sdh.en" with the obvious additional meanings.

Paul

jazzmonger

ok, I did as you suggested but I don't get anything listed.  I go into the movie and back out.  am I missing something else perhaps?

image.thumb.png.a825036c4555e8092dd1cb2d8659f6e5.png

image.thumb.png.cf1e205ab5940084cc5829e0468bb6f1.png

The automatic naming on my Mac is like this:

image.png.bee08d9b9391553bb627c956a979a6c4.png

Edited by jazzmonger

Hi.  You wouldn't see it in the search screen.  On the screen behind that, isn't there now a subtitle drop down?

jazzmonger

no there isnt.  I should note that it works for every other tittle I've tried. And I now have my library set for automatic download.

image.thumb.png.85d0991fc7b267439f6881fa7e01518a.png

image.thumb.png.a4464e9a6cf19d53b03d059067cf4151.png

Edited by jazzmonger

jazzmonger

ok, on a hunch, I removed the brackets  (2010) from the year.

image.png.60fb4da5e884b9eb5768c832c1e70d85.png

Now it works.  I don't knows why you wouldnt allow brackets in the name of the subtitle file in your code....????

image.thumb.png.07a5201707541087413d873314ed8c63.png

Also, that title returns ZERO results for subtitles in the search.  Why would that be???  is it the name of the MP4 file again???

Edited by jazzmonger

roaku

It looks like you're being inconsistent/incorrect about the release year.

TMDB has the release year as 2010, not 2011.

I have a feeling that is causing you some issues.

jazzmonger

Thats the way it was named when I got the file... ok, so I renamed it., and now search works.

interesting how many of the srt file names contain the "incorrect year" of 2010... but they still show up.

image.png.72d43085ca734bef13914afd4174282f.png

jazzmonger

So it turns out the over 50% of the 1500 movies in my library have brackets in the filenames (2021), (2011) etc.  

It seems that I will need to remove those somehow for subtitles to work?

?

Edited by jazzmonger

roaku
6 minutes ago, jazzmonger said:

So it turns out the over 50% of the 1500 movies in my library have brackets in the filenames (2021), (2011) etc.  

It seems that I will need to remove those somehow for subtitles to work?

?

Isn't it the case that's it only when the year is wrong for the item that you have a problem?

jazzmonger

No, it was the brackets.  Thankfully I found a way to mass rename all files in a folder so all is ok now.

So, there are TWO problems wih subtitle file names:

1) if the year is wrong, search does not work but the local file shows up as an available subtitle.
2) if there are brackets in the file name, it wont show up as a locally available subtitle.

Edited by jazzmonger

1 hour ago, jazzmonger said:

No, it was the brackets.  Thankfully I found a way to mass rename all files in a folder so all is ok now.

1) if the year is wrong, search does not work but the local file shows up as an available subtitle.
2) if there are brackets in the file name, it wont show up as a locally available subtitle.

Hi, can you please provide examples of both of these? thanks.

• 1 month later...
ImGregoid
On 16/01/2024 at 12:49, jazzmonger said:

To fix this problem try "Scan Library Files" in the library that contains the movie, after you add the subtitle to your directory, so Emby can detect it.

Edited by ImGregoid
  • Thanks 1