Best drive for 4K UHD

all4dom

all4dom

So i have looking at what's a good drive for 4k uhd looking at what works with make mkv & dvd fab I ordered the lg wh14ns30 & i should get it by Jan 22. I can order the asus bw 16d1wht & get it by Tuesday. What's the better drive? Seems like the lg but i read a lot of people like the asus. I can cancel if I need to. Thanks for your assistance.

justinrh

I suppose you are asking about optical/disc drives.  For clarity, you know.  😀

arrbee99

Well, now thats sorted out - dunno really.

I have an LG ns55 in one bay of the main PC and a Pioneer S12UHT in the other. I find the Pioneer is slower but generally more successful. So if a 4K gives errors on the LG, its OK on the Pioneer, not always, but enough to be useful.

This info isn't much use considering Pioneers firmware issues, but just thought I'd mention it - faster isn't always better (for me). Might be worth getting one pre-flashed. I flashed one of my drives, easy, no problem, but was still freaking out over ruining a brand new drive.

• Like 1

all4dom

@arrbee99I don't remember if I found the ns55 during my search. I used 2 sites, make mkv & dvd fab to learn about the uhd friendly drives & make mkv likes the pioneer drrives & dvd fab does not. Seems to be an asus & lg are the middle ones where they play nice with both. I understand how you need the original fw or one that's modified & bith sites offer that. So i ordered an lg but it's not gonna be here until next week. I think the lg is the ns40. I can get the asus quicker for a but more so that's why I was asking which was better. 

arrbee99

Sorry I'm not helping. Just think if its on MakeMKV's approved list you'll be fine, and getting the cheaper one that does the same as the more expensive one for less seems good to me.

all4dom

I agree. Just hate waiting. Hopefully the drive arrives early.