Time shifted show won't play again when stopped during recording

bob174

bob174

Crappy tv recording function.  If I am watching time shifted football and I stop watching the game to get a beer, emby catches where I stopped. But if I try to start watching again while the game is still recording, all it does is show a frozen picture.  This has been a problem forever.  I don't expect it to be fixed, because they don't seem to fix anything with live tv.  I just want to complain.

• Haha 1

MBSki

Yes, agree, it's frustrating. The only way I can get it to work is change the quality to 720p, then when I need to skip I hold down the skip button. If I let go of skip it goes right back to the beginning of the recording.

bungee91
3 hours ago, bob174 said:

Crappy tv recording function.  If I am watching time shifted football and I stop watching the game to get a beer, emby catches where I stopped. But if I try to start watching again while the game is still recording, all it does is show a frozen picture.  This has been a problem forever.  I don't expect it to be fixed, because they don't seem to fix anything with live tv.  I just want to complain.

So is this then resuming from your saved state which shows a frozen picture? If so it will resume, it just takes much longer than anything I'd consider acceptable. The less resources (likely primarily CPU bound) the longer is seems to take. At least this is my experience with a docker Emby server (UnRAID) and the ATV app. It is fairly terrible on longer duration recordings, however will resume for me.

4 hours ago, bob174 said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

bob174

Thank you for the request for information, Luke, but this method of troubleshooting via the forum just doesn't work for me.  I have seen threads that extend over a year and seemingly come to no resolution.  I frankly do not have the patience to try to troubleshoot something like this over weeks or months.  As I said above, I just wanted to complain that time shifting live tv is crappy.  Based on what I read here, others have the problem as well.  I presume this will be corrected with the heralded live TV update release which has been alleged for literally years, but like all emby feature releases or bug fixes, has never had a published release date.