Question regarding directory in directory structure for TV-shows.

Shlammod
Go to solution Solved by Shlammod,

Shlammod

I have a directory in which I have my TV shows each in a separate directory, except for my Marvel Cinematic Universe TV-shows. These reside inside a directory called MCU within the TV shows directory.
When I try to add the main TV directory to my library, the directory MCU gets scanned, but every show is shown as a season instead of a separate show. So I thought, what if I add the MCU directory as a separate library, and get the contents scanned, after that, add the main TV show directory .

The first part, adding the MCU directory , was no problem at all. Every single show got recognized and was added to my library. Took some time, but it presented no errors.

After that, I tried to add the main TV show directory and then something strange happened; The MCU library all of a sudden completely got scrambled up. Instead of showing the correct titles, it now shows season 2013 for example, all images for the shows are gone and the shows are now assigned the category season, which would be logical if MCU were a series.

I also tried to add the .ignore file to the MCU directory , this resulted in the content not getting scanned at all (which should be correct I guess), even if I add the MCU directory  as a main library.

When I had the same setup in Kodi, it was no problem to add these shows to my library, so I figured it should not be that hard to achieve in Emby as well.

My question is; Is what I am trying to do possible with my current setup. I'd rather not want to move the MCU directory to a new location, or move the MCU-shows into the main TV show directory since they have been backed up to a remote server which took quite some time already.

Hello Shlammod,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

GrimReaper
38 minutes ago, Shlammod said:

My question is; Is what I am trying to do possible with my current setup. I'd rather not want to move the MCU directory to a new location, or move the MCU-shows into the main TV show directory since they have been backed up to a remote server which took quite some time already.

Move all the other TV shows into another subfolder (i.e. Other TV), and add both those subfolders separately as your TV shows library paths, i.e.

\TV Shows\MCU

\TV Shows\Other TV

• Thanks 1

Shlammod

Thank you for your answer, did not think of that.
Too bad the same applies for the TV-shows, the've all been backupped and I rather not want to move them to another location.

Now that you mention this, maybe something like a symlink would do the trick and I will give that a shot.

If "What you want to achieve is not possible" would be the anser, then that is a completely acceptable answer for me.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Shlammod said:

If "What you want to achieve is not possible" would be the anser, then that is a completely acceptable answer for me.

Complex folder structure generally is supported/acceptable (users use, for example, letter-subfolders or year-subfolders or genre-subfolders or any other subfoldered-structure), though occasionally it does break under certain scenarios, very often with single TV show out of few dozen or few hundred being the culprit (often one of the Numbered-titled ones) - keeping it as simple as feasible is always a way to go. You can also test it by adding one by one TV show from your main TV shows folder until parser fails, see what gives.

https://emby.media/support/articles/TV-Naming.html#complex-folder-structure   

• Thanks 2

• Solution
Shlammod

What I ended up doing was creating a symlink to the MCU directory. Now everything seems to work fine.
I have the MCU directory in my TV shows which still shows the wrong details, just like I mentioned in my opening post, but the newly created library now does work and I can correctly identify every show.

For users with a comparable situation you can create the link, basically creating a virtual hard link to the directory, with an elevated command promt using the command mklink.
So, for example, if you wanted to create a directory junction (a hard link to a folder) at "C:\LinkToFolder" that pointed to "C:\Users\Name\OriginalFolder," you'd run the following command:

mklink /J C:\LinkToFolder C:\Users\Name\OriginalFolder

You'll need to put quotation marks around paths with spaces. For example, if the folders are instead named "C:\Link To Folder" and "C:\Users\Name\Original Folder," you'd use the following command instead: