What is ffdetect do any why are there so many threads?

benze

benze

I have noticed recently that Emby is sometimes consuming 100% of my 1+ CPUs.  When I look at the offending process, I see that it is:

/system/EmbyServer -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3

When I look further at my process list, I see that there are ~20 PIDs that are showing the same process information.  What is this process doing, why does it consume 100% of my CPU and why are there so many of them?

image.thumb.png.af6095f1f15ab5bf555c51716315330a.png

I am running Emby 4.7.14.10 in a docker container.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi, it's our home grown application to detect hardware acceleration capabilities, but it looks like that's not what's running. It looks like you've somehow managed to get 20 instances of emby server running. is that correct?

SamES
6 hours ago, benze said:

I have noticed recently that Emby is sometimes consuming 100% of my 1+ CPUs.  When I look at the offending process, I see that it is:

/system/EmbyServer -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3

When I look further at my process list, I see that there are ~20 PIDs that are showing the same process information.  What is this process doing, why does it consume 100% of my CPU and why are there so many of them?

image.thumb.png.af6095f1f15ab5bf555c51716315330a.png

I am running Emby 4.7.14.10 in a docker container.

Thanks,

Eric

That's normal, they are child processes.  Press F5 (assuming that is htop) and you can see they are children.

BTW, ffdetect that you are seeing is a command line argument to the main process - it's not an ffdetect process

image.thumb.png.9eb16fa654d94470df58fac7a5d92e1e.png

benze
4 hours ago, SamES said:

That's normal, they are child processes.  Press F5 (assuming that is htop) and you can see they are children.

BTW, ffdetect that you are seeing is a command line argument to the main process - it's not an ffdetect process

Thanks for the tip - I didn't realize that htop was showing me child threads.

image.thumb.png.469523120b1bb7ff81a492e83984c400.png

@LukeIt is a single EmbyServer process which is running in a single docker container.  As SamES pointed out, they are child threads from the main server thread. 

There were no active connections to the server (I had just launched the server), and yet it is consuming 100% CPU.  Any way to identify what/where is happening for so much CPU power?  I have to manually restart the container for the CPU usage to drop to normal levels.

Thanks,

Eric

benze

@LukeI saw errors trying to retrieve subtitles using the SubBuzz plugin, so I temporarily disabled the offending site and restarted the server.  The CPU usage seems to have decreased.  I will keep an eye on it and reopen the thread if the CPU begins to spike again.

I am somewhat perplexed why 5XX on subtitle retrievals should cause high CPU usage, but will report back if it rears up again.

Thanks,

Eric

• Thanks 1