Emby App (and TV) Crashing on Sony Bravia TV when HEVC Playback

bjjones

bjjones

As it says, I get green bars top and bottom playing back DV layered HDR content.

I don't think its a synology issue and @Lukeor @Carlofeel free to move it to wherever Community you think it better belongs

Synology DS1019+ 7.1.1U6 with Emby premium 4.7.14.0 but its not transcoding (see the attachment) which is why I discount a synology Emby issue. It always direct plays to whichever target device.

The problem does not occur in a browser window nor does it occur on latest iOS version on my iPad, it only occurs on my Sony XBR (2016 variant) running the Android Emby version. Emby Theater also has a different problem with it, 1/2 the time it's fine, other times the window fades out, no video then locks up. Win 10 22H2, Intel arc, i5-13600K for the PC side.

Thanks

Mediainfo and screenshot attached

IMG_7854.JPG

Mixed DV HDR.txt

• 3 weeks later...
jakedeed91

Whenever I play HEVC video from Sony Bravia TV the Emby App freezes and restarts the TV.

I have been trying to play Season 2 of Brooklyn 99 which is in HEVC.  Season 1 seemed to be x264 and worked no issues. 

When I play the Season 2 episode from my chrome browser on the Windows Server itself it plays fine, specifying that it is Transcoding.

I have tried both enable/disable hardware acceleration.

I sent logs from Sony Bravia TV at 5:24PM (ET) under user DEED

Attached are the Emby Server Logs and ffmpeg

Edit: I also have another video x264 (mkv) on directstream Joey S201 which plays the intro, and then skips to the end of the episode.

embyserver-2.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-54136720-d715-4ebb-bc93-57f0da796624_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-3c5a03bd-4e6a-4bc4-9d01-4c86ff79d696_1.txt

Edited by jakedeed91
Additional Issue and file

Hi.  The TV restarting would probably indicate an error below the level of the app and your app log doesn't show any indication of that event (but probably wouldn't since the whole device restarted).

The only error in your log is this:

01-13 08:53:05.127  4924  4924 I System.out: VolleyError com.android.volley.NoConnectionError: java.net.ConnectException: Failed to connect to /192.168.20.8:8096

but that is likely just a temporary situation resulting from the fact the TV just restarted and so the network isn't up yet.

jakedeed91

@ebrIs there anything I should do to provide more information?

I have watched many shows/files with no issues until now.

This S02E01_Undercover Brooklyn 99 consistently crashes the tv, even after restarts of both TV and Windows Emby Server

bjjones

Thanks @Luke, I've chased this down pretty well and I'm thinking its the Emby app in the Sony since it works everywhere else so you can go ahead and delete the thread out of the Synology section plz. I'll repost it as above over in the android TV section. Thanks

bjjones

Any idea which version to side load on an X1 outfitted Sony ? I'm guessing one of the 2 ARM versions? I might see if this impacts a different issue I'm having on a Sony XBR running the playstore version - Thanks

10 minutes ago, bjjones said:

Any idea which version to side load on an X1 outfitted Sony ? I'm guessing one of the 2 ARM versions? I might see if this impacts a different issue I'm having on a Sony XBR running the playstore version - Thanks

HI, please try the armv7 version. Thanks.

bjjones

@LukeI did get the plain android app 3.3.58 sideloaded and it has the same green bars behavior. I started the Emby server up fresh before making the logs so this should be all that's in it, played the same movie in each app. attached are the logs and screenshots of what's being displayed. If anything the playstore Emby app seems to give a smoother playback

android green bars.JPG

android app stats.JPG

Emby app stats.JPG

emby TV green bars.JPG

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63841083139.txt embyserver-63841083066.txt

Edited by bjjones

• 4 weeks later...
bjjones

half and half, DV and HDR10 combined.

Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L4.1@Main
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.03, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : hvc1

15 hours ago, bjjones said:

half and half, DV and HDR10 combined.

Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L4.1@Main
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.03, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : hvc1

Ok. Does the TV support this natively?

bjjones

yes on HDR no on DV. It doesn't happen on all movies that are in this format, maybe 1 in 4. They're all being played through the Emby app (Exoplayer in my Sony tv as above) but it works fine on IOS and also in Emby Theater. Stats shows it as HDR10 on all players so it's not confusing the DV layer, it's something specific to the Android TV app or the underlying hardware its running on I'm guessing

• 1 month later...

OK so when it doesn't support it, we need to look at falling back from DV to HDR. Thanks.