Mitch1mac

Mitch1mac

Mitch1mac

Hi , I have just signed up to this site,  on the select a server, I enter my IP address,  but I don’t know what a port number is.

I am old, and I’m not up to speed with PC’s.

can one of you good people an  old man .

Hello Mitch1mac,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges
1 hour ago, Mitch1mac said:

I am old, and I’m not up to speed with PC’s.

Being old is not a disqualification (I'm 77, for instance), but lack of experience is harder to overcome, I'll admit!

Anyway, first let's be sure what you think you're getting.  Emby is not a streaming service; it's expected that you will install their server software and use it to stream your own media (DVDs, downloads, home videos, live TV...).  Or maybe someone in your family is providing you with access to a server they've set up - in which case they should tell you how to access it.

When you use an Emby client, the IP address you specify is that of the machine the server you are going to use is installed on (your own, only if you have just one machine and have installed on that).  The port is specified after the IP address, separated by a colon, like 192.168.1.73:8096 - the "8096" is the port, and that is the default for an Emby server, but can be changed.

If you are wanting to install your own server, then the Quick Start which Luke linked is the initial guide.

Paul

• Thanks 1