Tizen Emby Theater App not playing true hd

all4dom

all4dom

My q80c says it can play true hd & dolby digital master. I have a samsung q600c soundbar that says it does atmos, true hd & digital master. When I play one of my shows that has true hd, emby says it is transcoding audio. I.dont have a problem with atmos though. From what I am reading is i need an external device such as the shield to pass through the audio. The apps don't do that. When I try to select pass through on advanced tv settings it's greyed out. I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Thanks.

Hi, if you force direct play by restricting user access to transcoding, do you get sound? My guess is you won't.

What we've seen in the past with samsungs that claim to support this is that it doesn't seem to be available to all third party apps.

FrostByte

Interesting.  I'm looking at the user's manual for the Q80C and I can't find where it says TrueHD.  It mentions Atmos, but that is DD+ Atmos.  

See the chart on p173 and I also searched on the term "Atmos".

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202307/20230705133212135/BN81-24055A-410_EM_OSPATSCC_NA_ENG-US_230609.0.pdf

image.jpeg.d79fe1c861a51583b7a674cb9e694ab0.jpeg

Dolby Atmos Compatibility
You can set the TV to allow Dolby Digital+ with Atmos streams that are input from external devices.
Set to On if the audio device connected via HDMI (eARC) supports Dolby Atmos. The TV screen may flicker when
this function is turned on or off.
If this function is on, set Digital Output Audio Format to Auto.
This function may not be supported depending on the model.
• Dolby Atmos
Set to On if the audio device connected via the HDMI (eARC) port supports Dolby Atmos. When the option is set
to On, Dolby Digital+ with Atmos stream, sent from an external device, can be received. If you change the setting
when the input source is set to HDMI, the screen may flicker. If this function is on, set Digital Output Audio
Format to Auto.
When watching TV using the embedded speakers, the virtual surround sound effect of Dolby Atmos can be
turned on or off. If the TV has been installed in portrait mode by using separate accessories, the virtual surround
sound effect through the TV speakers does not work.

Edited by FrostByte

all4dom

@SamESthank you. That was a very easy to understand. I'm disappointed because I thought having an atmos soundbar I would be getting true hd & digital master, but guess not. I just got the tv & soundbar & also got my son a tv so I don't think I'm going to buy the Nvidia shield now but later in the year I may also replace my tv downstairs & I'll probably get the shield. I will say coming from a non smart tv & roku & no soundbar to what I have now including emby theater I am very happy. 

@FrostByteI found somewhere when I was googleing what the tv would play & it said true hd but doesn't even matter. 

As always thank you all for your input & taking the time to explain everything.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Okay, if you ever have any question on what your TV supports after looking at the user's manual you can always do as Luke mentioned.  Turn off audio transcoding on the server.  You will either get no sound, a Samsung error message from the TV itself, or a loud obnoxious sound if the TV doesn't have the correct audio decoder.  

The devs pretty much follow what is in that chart, but if you find something that plays just fine after turning off transcoding which was transcoding previously then the devs will sometimes make an exception for that model year.

• Like 1

all4dom

Are there any tvs that do true hd & digital master out of currisoity? I guess in the end the media or audio can be converted but that's an extra step though. 

• Like 1

all4dom

Sony does make good tvs but it's more integrated with Google then samsung & alexa so I guess I'll just keep an open mind when it comes time to replace the downstairs tv.

• Like 1