Advice needed: updating/replacing my 14 year old 5.1 audio system

Killface69
Go to solution Solved by Killface69,

Killface69

Hi there,

I currently have a nice TV and a 14 year old Teufel Concept S 5.1 audio system. The subwoofer has a built in receiver, capable of DTS (only Core) and Dolby Digital. A Fire TV stick plugged into the TV has Emby installed. Audio is output from the TV via a optical cable.

My current issue consists mainly with DV films that don't contain the appropriate audio channels or formats, meaning I'd either convert the media (not an option) or upgrade my audio setup to match current stanards.

Not sure if I should keep the current setup as it's still working and add a receiver which handles all the audio annoyances (which one?) to it, with the option to upgrade to Atmos and maybe 7.1.2.
So my question is: Is there a good receiver with amplifier which can handle the audio on its own or do you advice a new surround set? Would this one be a good choice Teufel ULTIMA 40 + Denon X2800H?

rbjtech

Denon gets my vote, but I've no idea about the speakers.   If possible - try and get a demo in a dedicated demo room - but remember that this is likely setup with proper 'overhead' speakers while this setup has 'up firing' Atmos speakers.   The demo room may have both - so ask for a comparison.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Savagegek

That are 2 complete different ways to approach your issue.

A new receiver would do the trick, just wire the current speakers to the new receiver and you should be fine.
In terms of brands I like the Yamaha receivers more, had several and always good reliability and the musiccast system works like a charm and software is decent and proven reliable(OSD is ugly though) which is better than the Denon I tested a few years back, but that's just my opinion.

However when looking for the ultima 40 this will be an major upgrade I suppose, so if you like it and want to spend money for an upgrade, I would, as with all speakers, advise to have a listen.
I don't have any Teufel but heard always that they produce decent HT oriented speakers, in The Netherlands where I am they don't have any shops so Germany would be a bit far.

tedfroop21

It would appear that the sub powers the rest of the speakers?  In which case IF you can match the impedance (ohms) with additional speakers  you could retain those, and add.

As others mention, a separate receiver means you can replace the receiver if all the speakers are still functional in the future.

The reality of it is this, Dolby is backward compatible.  IE - if it works with Atmos it will decode every other previous Dolby standard.  DTS is nearly the same but has a few outliers that may not decode as expected without the receiver having the matching decoder standards built in.  Fortunately since they are digital, those are generally included but its best to check.

I would also check out the number of channels you would like vs room size, 9 speakers in too small a room will not be better than 5 or 7.  Prices of receivers vary based on the number of channels you are using as well. 

Brand is personal preference but be aware that places like Best Buy etc.  have manufacturers make models for them and will have additions to their model name. R-XV567 becomes RX-Va 567 and to hit their price/profit numbers there are usually features removed from the manufacturers standard models.  Careful comparison will show where they skimped, or why the standard version at the specialty shop costs more.

Best way to shop is to make a list of features,  find a couple receivers that match, and a shop that will let you listen to them on the same set of speakers.

• Like 1

• Solution
Killface69

Thanks, I got the Teufel 500 Surround 5.1 + Atmos and a (slightly underpowered) Denon X2800H receiver. For 7.1, I'd need more budget and a bigger room 🙂

• Like 3